3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2010 9:25 AM by Ryan Werner

Floating Joints

Scott Pratt

Hello All,

I have been having some issues with defining joints in my beams FEA's. The latest issue is shown below, where there are floating joints that are not connected to any beams:

Floating Joints.jpg

Does anyone know why this happens? Is there a better way to define and/or edit joints? Thanks.

-Scott

• Re: Floating Joints
          Ryan Werner

It looks like you may be having problems with the Neutral Axis' of the beams in your part.  In the Edit Joints window click on the show Neutral Axis check box to see where they are.  If they are screwed up than you can redefine the NA by right clicking on the beam in the feature tree.

You can manually manipulate the joints once they have been created.  Right click on the pink or yellow sphere representing the joint, click on the bodies you want to be connected in that joint (or remove bodies as needed) and then hit the calculate button.  This only works if the joint is already close to where it should be anyway and you have to do it everytime you edit the joints.

You can post the part if you like and I can take a look.

Ryan W.

Scott Pratt

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for the response. Okay, this helps. However, I am not able to modify the neutral axes on the round tube members. When I right click to redefine the neutral axis, I am suppose to click an edge parallel to the neutral axis, but I cannot do this because the round tubes don't have edges. I tried to click the axis of the round tube but this does not work. Do you have any thoughts about how to redefine the neutral axis on a round part?

-Scott

Ryan Werner

I have had the same problem.  It is annoying but I have found a work around.  You can create a split line that follows the centerline of the round beam and then use that edge to redefine the NA.  I am not sure if this is the best way to do it and it can take a while depending on how many beams you are dealing with but I do know it works.  You can also suppress the split lines once you have everything redefined.

Ryan W.