AnsweredAssumed Answered

Part density driven from design table or material?

Question asked by Tony Greising-Murschel on Aug 17, 2010
Latest reply on Aug 20, 2010 by John Pehl

I know this is a bit of a head scratcher but bear with me as I hope to be able to provide enough information for what I'm trying to do.

Due to modeling constraints I cannot model our tube fins (see image) as they exist (~45MB per tube, upwards of ~1000 tubes per project).

TubeFinsForm.png

So what I do instead is to just make a weldment that "represents" our specs--6 fins per inch, 3/4" high, .05in thick, screw thread for appearance--except the material weight is now an urgent requirement. (below is how they are modeled)

TubeFinsAsIsScrewThread.png

The old way of doing things was to calculate the fin weight based upon some equations and then apply that to a length and voila, total fin weight.  So while I still know the expected fin weight it would be nice if I could apply a material to my "weldment" to get the proper total weight, combine that with the tubes and get a proper shipping weight.  What I've been trying to do is find a proper material density so that I just apply that material and get the expected weight.  But with the many varying situations it's been hard to tie down what I need.

My options at this point are to: A.) take my expected fin weight and divide that by the Solidworks volume and apply that number to my density under Options->Document Properties->Material Properties or B.) come up with a magical density number that works with varying fins per inch, height, etc or C.) using the API, be able to set the Density manually with my known weight and Volume from Solidworks..  I was hoping to find a way to have my designers simply apply a material to their parts but am lost being without an Engineering Degree

So to recap, I need to find a magical Density with my known Volume (from Solidworks) and Mass (from XL Calcs). D = M/V

Outcomes