Please do the following:
1. Open the weldment part in SW
2. Add a reference dimension to the edge on the face you wish to show the length of in the cut list
3. Find the folder in the cut list that has the member body in it and RMB and choose "PROPERTIES"
4. Add the custom property to the list and for the value click on the new reference dimension (you can also simply edit the existing "length" property value by deleting the existing value reference and clicking the new reference dimensions)
5. Go to the drawing that has the cut list and RMB on the column next to where you want to add the new reference and choose "INSERT>COLUMN"
6. With the new column selected go to the properties pane and choose "CUT LIST ITEM PROPERTY" and select the proper custom property from the drop down below.
Thanks for you reply. I'm new to SW so I'm not sure if your answer will work for me. Let me clarify.
We make custom frames. Right now we have custom software that correctly and automatically calculates the length of a bar.
I need to be able to duplicate this in SW, but it must be automated. We have thousands of bars and can't dimension each one by hand.
Is there a way to do this in SW? I have no problem using VBA if necessary. For example, can I create a custom column that uses a VBA macro to identify the face with the longest length for each bar in turn, and returns that value to the table?
I am pretty sure it can't be automatic with out of the box solidworks. I would post your question about a macro or adding in the API section - they do all kinds of crazy stuff.
I wish I could help on the VBA side but that is not my strong suit. You may try and repost your question in the API portion of the forum; if there is a way to do it I would bet that somebody in there has the answer for you.
Thanks guys. I'll do that.