1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 10, 2010 1:46 PM by Christopher Thompson

ScanTo3D - to save in which format?

Hello!

I am in the process of converting a point cloud to a surface. I finished the mesh prep wizard and before I continue to work with the surface wizard I want to save the file (to "save" it/to continue another time/to save this stage of my work). SolidWorks automatically suggests SLDPRT. Now when I remember correctly, I have created a mesh out of a point cloud and a typical mesh file format is STL, for example.

Is it better to use STL (or another file format?) for a mash? Or is SLDPRT perfectly fine?

Or shouldn´t I be saving between the two wizards at all and save to whatever I want when I´m done with the surface wizard?

• Re: ScanTo3D - to save in which format?
          Christopher Thompson

I would suggest saving as a *.sldprt so you can complete the work where you left off as the STL file is a mesh file. The surface wizard in ScanTo3D can be used to convert the mesh to a surface or solid, and will show a mesh feature in the model tree after converting the cloudpt data.

After you are done with the conversion to a surface, the part can then be exported as a parasolid, STEP, or IGES file if needed.