AnsweredAssumed Answered

I need to insert large tiff files as sketch pictures and maintain good quality image.

Question asked by Charlie Groh on Aug 9, 2010
Latest reply on Oct 21, 2013 by Terrell Sprecher

I am trying to model parts base off of full scale non dimensioned drawings on mylar (aircraft parts from the 50’s). I have gotten Hi-Res tiff scans of the mylars with hopes of inserting them as sketch pictures in SolidWorks. The tiff files are too large for SolidWorks to accept. I have tried to scale down these tiff files or broken the tiff files up into smaller sections. Although the tiff files look good in a tiff viewer, when imported into SolidWorks they a dumbed down and are very pixelated.

If I break up the original tiffs into 5000 x 5000 pixel tiff sections I get pretty good looking results but can end up with 50 or so tiff sections I need to import. I can live with this except after about 20 tiffs imported even with them in sketches suppressed, SolidWorks begins to bog down and run out of resources.

Has anyone found a good way of inserting large tiff files into SolidWorks as sketch pictures and maintain good quality images?

Outcomes