4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2010 9:29 AM by Dean Baragar

Simulation Error: Incremental Elastic Strain Too Large

Dean Baragar

I have a sway bar of sorts which I am trying to analyze using Solidworks Simulation. If you look at the attached pictures, you can see this bar is made up of 4 pieces of 3/8" steel. Two of those pieces are solved as sheet metal parts and two of them are not (possible problem?).  If you can't gather this from my pictures I have fixed the faces on one side of the bar and added forces on the other end of the bar. As for the connection of the four pieces, all are corner to corner welds, and I used the rigid connection option to fix these edges together.

The mesh is created without any problems, but the analysis gets ~45% done and it gives me the error:

Incremental elastic strain too large (>25%). Would you like to restart? Y/N

I did a search for this error and it seems no one else has had this problem....any ideas?

• Re: Simulation Error: Incremental Elastic Strain Too Large
          Ryan Werner

I have not come across that error before but you may have more success running all four pieces as solids.

Ryan W.

Dean Baragar

Thanks Ryan, I only just figured out how to do that a few minutes ago...rechecked everything, ran it again, got a "Solver Failed. Restart?" or something of that nature and clicked 'Yes' which restarted that specific process. The solver continued until 100% overall progress (at which time many time consuming sub processes take place, which makes this 100% overall progress misleading) and came up with an error:

Intel(r) Visual Fortran run-time error

forrtl: severe(38): error during write, unit 27 file

\\(filelocation\.OUT

(Followed by a poorly formatted table which I only wrote out the first line of about 10 items)

Image             PC        Routine                Line        Source

STAR.exe       0000000001407ED858  Unknown           Unknown

Unknown

Ryan Werner

Wow, that is some kind of error.  What version of SW/Simulation are you running if you do not mind my asking?

Did the error ask you if you wanted to restart with Large Displacement turned on?  If that was the case then one problem is most likely that all of the pieces in your part are not touching so they are moving around.  If Simulation asks you about Large Displacement you want to say no unless you know that you are specifically running an analysis that is checking for Large Displacement.  When you hit no the analysis may finish running and show you results with pieces moving around or you may get another error that states not enough restraints or something along that line.

Hope some of this is helpful.

Ryan W.

Dean Baragar

I think the problem was the parts were moving around (and poor set up [as in connections] on my part). I tweaked it a couple times and had no more problems. Also I was not aware that the large displacement option was triggered by a part that is not constrained well enough (the parts were visually disconnected at one end in the displacement results but I figured it may just be that the program was analyzing the welds and they were insufficient).  Anyways I know for next time...Thanks!