13 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2013 2:00 PM by Jerry Steiger

WireFrame Color

Kenneth Barrentine

Can anyone explain why it's so difficult to display the "wireframe color" of a "model" in a drawing?

IMHO, it should be straightforward.

e.g.  In model, go to tools>options>document properties>colors> apply same color to wireframe, HLR and shaded (box checked).

Voilà ... color should NOW display in drawing by toggling the "Color Display Mode" from the Line Format toolbar.

EDIT:  With the method above, and when referencing an assembly with numerous parts all of whom have a different color, the drawing would look like a "kaleidoscope of color"!

Message was edited by: Kenneth Barrentine

• Re: WireFrame Color
          Scott McFadden

Ken,

When going through the same steps you did I got the same results.

But, when I went to Tools>System Options>Drawings, Visible Model Edges and picked the color

that was saves to the custom colors I was able to achieve the same color as the part model.

The wireframe you are selecting is strictly for the part model wireframe.

Color.jpg

Darryl Daniel

This is one of the things about SW I don't like.  I actually prefer to have the wireframes be the same color as the part, especially when viewing a wireframe of an assembly.  It is essential for helping determine what part/line you are looking at through the assembly.  This is automatic in Pro/E, but in SW you have to go into each individual part and apply same color to wireframe.  So if you have a huge assembly, and didn't know about this before you started (like me), it takes forever to go in and change this option on every part.

I just found this thread yesterday, so I haven't had a chance to play with it a lot.  I have a question....if you do apply same color to wireframe (for example on all parts in your assembly) and then open the assembly and view wireframe you should see all the line as the original color of the individual parts instead of black lines.  I understand this....but it also sounds like the views in the drawings will also have colored lines?  Is this correct?

For me, my preference would be:

1) In an assembly, all part lines would show up the same color as the part

2) In a drawing, all part lines would be black (with some way to toggle this at a global level would be nice)

I don't suppose it is possible to have my cake an eat it too?  If so, please elaborate.

Thanks,

-Darryl

Jerry Steiger

Darryl,

It's relatively easy to have SW work the way you want. Set up your part templates with the wire frame color the same as the shaded part color. Save the templates. Change to that same setting on any parts that you built before the template change. You're done.

I believe in 2011 there is a new setting for drawings that allows you to apply the part color to the drawing edges, but I haven't actually installed 2011 yet.

Jerry Steiger

Darryl Daniel

Jerry,

This is an old thread, but I still have the same issues.  Your suggestion doesn't work (at least not for me....maybe I have a setting wrong).  When I set my part template with the wire frame color to be teh same as shaded part color....it only does it for whatever particular color my part template is.  If I create a new part (using the template), and then change the color of the part (as is typical), it doesn't automatically change the wireframe line color to match the new shaded color.  I have to go into Tools-->Options-->Document Settings-->Model Display--> and check the box for "Apply same color to wireframe, HLR & shaded".  This defeats to point of adding this to the part template.

I even tried recording a macros to apply the setting, but alas, the SW macros record feature is complete garbage and doesn't work at all.  So I'm back to square one.  If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Patrick O'Hern

Darryl Daniel wrote:

I have to go into Tools-->Options-->Document Settings-->Model Display--> and check the box for "Apply same color to wireframe, HLR & shaded".

Have you tried adding THIS option to your part template?

Edit:  Tested this, but even with that setting checked it doesn't update the wireframe color if the part color changes.

Patrick O'Hern

Here's a simple macro to update the setting:

Sub Main()
                              Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks
                              Dim swModel As SldWorks.ModelDoc2
                              Dim bstatus As Boolean

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks
                              Set swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc

bstatus = swModel.Extension.SetUserPreferenceToggle( _
                                  swUserPreferenceToggle_e.swColorsWireframeHLRShadedSame, _
                                  swUserPreferenceOption_e.swDetailingNoOptionSpecified, True)
                          End Sub

Jerry Steiger

Darryl,

I'm afraid I can't help. It seems to be working OK for me on SW2010. Are you still running SW2010, as your tagline says?

Jerry S.