5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2006 11:34 AM by

Rhino

We don't use Rhino as a modeling partner to SW but for rendering. There are some things about using Flamingo (Rhino renderer plugin) that are just easier to use than PhotoWorks, mainly dealing with materials managment and the ability to write a script to batch render. PW does have a better renderer (with indirect and global illumination) but the interface still needs some major work to deal with materials and it needs to be able to use a standalone MentalRay render engine with batch render capabilites.
        • Rhino
          on 2006 8 12:44 Kenneth Maren wrote:
          > I see it in SP0. It's listed as an add-in. I am guessing you haven't turned it on yet.
          >
          > Ken Maren
          > Muderlak Design
          > www.muderlakdesign.com

Yes that was right, you can actually download an addin exe for this capability in SW2006 as well,
          Thanks
          • Rhino
            Rhino get's used in conjunction with a lot of Parametric modellers. It's one of the best programs out there for making class-a surfaces. It appears that 2007 has a built-in rhino translator.
            I don't have Rhino, but if I had to project a disadvantage of using, I think that would be in determining the work flow. Since they take very different approaches to modelling and there is some overlap, you have to invest some time determining where y ou're going to do what operation and in what sequence.
            • Rhino
              SW2006 sp4.1

I am curious if anyone uses Rhino in conjunction with SW, what for, down sides etc

Thanx
              • Rhino
                I see it in SP0. It's listed as an add-in. I am guessing you haven't turned it on yet.

Ken Maren
                Muderlak Design
                www.muderlakdesign.com
                • Rhino
                  on 2006 8 08:56 John Burrill wrote:
                  > Rhino get's used in conjunction with a lot of Parametric modellers. It's one of the
                  > best programs out there for making class-a surfaces. It appears that 2007 has a
                  > built-in rhino translator.
                  > I don't have Rhino, but if I had to project a disadvantage of using, I think that
                  > would be in determining the work flow. Since they take very different approaches to
                  > modelling and there is some overlap, you have to invest some time determining where y
                  > ou're going to do what operation and in what sequence.

Agreed, that was my thinking as well as far as the work flow concern. I don't see a rhino translator in 2007, but maybe it will be a sp release.

Thanks again