3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2010 9:43 AM by Barry Stump

Referenced Documents - Best way to add a table listing them

Barry Stump

For something like an ECN or external document transmittal, does anyone have a good example of a document that will search the database for the files linked to that document and then populate the table on that document with the appropriate information (drawing/file number, description. current revision, new revision approval dated etc)?

• Re: Referenced Documents - Best way to add a table listing them
          Kishore Garakipati

Barry,

Yes, it is possible to make your request workable.

A VB macro can be written within MS Word file to find out the files linked to ECO (in EPDM) and as well link the variable values linked to the each of the files. A little experience with EPDM API and as well as VBA scripting in Office applications, you should be able to accomplish what you are looking for. We accomplished this request to one of our group companies. The overall scenario is little different but the working approach\architecture remains the same.

Hope this information helps.

• Re: Referenced Documents - Best way to add a table listing them
              Barry Stump

Not having played with this before and not seeing it in the standard word documentation, I am wondering if the reference documents are attached ever only via EPDM.  Or is there the same basic functionality in word itself.  If so then I see how this would work.  A method I was contemplating is a T-SQL querey or other similar API method that would query the database for attached references and then populate the table form that.  From that as it flows thru the Workflow it would keep updating itself.  Then once all referenced documents are approved the ECO iteslf can be approved.