3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2006 1:03 PM by

Joined Assembly Separating

I had 2 configurations for the part that was separating, which turned out to be the problem. The extrude up-to-surface model works fine, while the sketched one has a gap (not sure why, since the point is coincident, but that's a different story). Thanks for the help!

Peter Gillespie
      SolidWorks 2004 SP1 / COSMOS 2004
        • Joined Assembly Separating
          No, COSMOS 2004 doesn't support multi-bodies (I get that message when I don't pay attention to a join command or something like that). However, it does appear to act like 2 bodies. I e-mailed you the file. Thanks!

Peter Gillespie
          SolidWorks 2004 SP1 / COSMOS 2004
            Hi Peter, I don't think CW2004 supported multi-body parts which makes your problem even more confusing. Can you send me the model and let me take a look at it? I won't be able to try it in v2004 but I might be able to see something.

Vince
            vadams@solidworks.com
              I created a single part (with a single body) from an assembly that I joined all the parts together. My purpose was to create a weldment that didn't require weld beads, etc, for simple analysis. However, one component of the assembly separated when I ran my simulation. The component was created as an extrude up-to-surface. I thought that since it was contacting another surface, it would be considered united to that surface. Where am I going wrong?

BTW, I checked "Force Surface Contact" when I joined the parts.

Peter
              Solidworks 2004 SP1 / COSMOS 2004