18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2010 3:25 PM by qinghai jin

Hold Parts/Assemblies until Drawings get Approved

Barry Stump

I think I saw somewhere a proceedure or workflow that would hold parts/assemblies until the associated drawings get approved.  Just not sure where that was and the best search terms to find it again.  I want to use this method for that plus I want to hold onto groups of documents until the group gets approved.  Likly using an intermediary holding state.  Anyone have any ideas?

• Re: Hold Parts/Assemblies until Drawings get Approved
          Deepak Gupta

How about retaining the ownership

Jeff Walters

The check mark you are looking for is in the users or group permissions. On the warnings page check the Parent can't change state.

Parent can't change state.JPG

Barry Stump

I was looking that up.  I don't think that is how it was done in the article I saw.  I will have to dig deeper.

Kishore Garakipati

Hi Barry,

I wish I can provide information in this forum but I think you are looking for some solution similar to the topic listed in the below blog.

http://www.swgeeks.com/forum/topics/solidworks-enterprise-pdm

If you have any clarifications let me know.

Barry Stump

Yes, I am aware of that addon tool you provide.  The web site is a little unclear as to what it does etc for me to decide if I want that or not.

Kishore Garakipati

Thats fine Barry; Thanks... I would like put period since it does not match your needs.

But the tool exactly does "VICE VERSA" to what you requested for "proceedure that would hold parts/assemblies until the associated drawings get approved" .

Ex: The *.slddrw files in EPDM will not be sent to "released" or approved workflow state until its connected *.sldprt & *.sldasm file is "released" or approved in the workflow.

The above tool is built on logic that *.slddrw is always a derived document which contains *.sldprt or *.sldasm file and it is the parent document. The scenario mentioned in the blog will be vice versa scenario to your required but it can be configured as you like with little tweaks

Barry Stump

Maybe that is the sequence I need.  Hold the parts and assemblies till the assocuiated drawing is approved and then set the revision of the part or assembly to match the drawing.

qinghai jin

Hi, Barry,

I didn't use PDM before but I developed an application with the similar functions to control document release.

I developed standalone client applications. For different position workers/clients, like shop operator, designer, shipper, accountant, cost estimator , It allowed them run their applications with different fillter rules(different authoritiies).

For example, only the designer has the power to update/insert new records into the field of 'DWG_Generated' in the 'project' table ( our data management server is SQL server). With the same rules, the shop operators can run CNC machining for parts fabrication only if the field of "INI_generated" valued as "Yes" in the 'Products' Table in SQL Server. In a word, the archietecture of data flow (work flow) should be set between them, and its sequence relationships were included into the integration applications when the system was developed.

Setting new fields in data table to control the data flow(sequence) is necessary to data management, I think. Every field is depent on project check point or data filter criterion.

Barry Stump

My plan is to use a combination of Life Cycle States and Variables to control how documents are processed.  For example if a documents has a data card variable "DXF Required" then when the drawing is "Issued for Construction", DXF's and DXF followers will be generated and put in a Certain Work Order Folder for the associated DXF's.   But that is for another discussion.  With this discussion I am just seeing the best way to keep things together so they more or less go together AND I can keep the part or assembly revisions the same as the associated drawing revision.  This is important because the DXF's get generated from the models.  And in our machining division they generate Gibb's files from the 3D part file.  So under ISO's "Say what you do" and Do what you say" it is fairly important to demonstrate the DXF's or Gibb's files are generated from the correct approved model.

In most companies where I worked in the past we ignored this issue for its complexity.  But I think I have a logic that would accomplish what I want.  Just not 100% sure yet.

Barry Stump

I was just thinking of a complexity that might put a wrench in my logic.  Not that I have see this for a while but it is possible to have more that one drawing associated with the same part or assembly (not a different configuration).  It might come into practice where a different drawing number is required for the same part when a secondary process is used on the part.  Say heat treatment or the like and it is performed at a different vendor than the original part.  Ideally this would be handled by a simple no difference configuration.  There is nothing per se in EPDM that would prevent this as long as the drawing numbers were unique.  And maybe that is the cure for this side question.  The raw part would have a drawing with the same part number and the heat treated would have a drawing with a different number.  And yes that is again is bad because if the part were assembled into an assembly it would be calling up the untreated part rather than the treated part.  Which goes back to the need for the no difference configuration.

Jeremy Feist

for situations like that (one part "made from" another) we use derived parts made from the insert part command. this gives you a new part file that will update when the base part changes. check it out.

Jeremy

Scott McFadden

I agree with Jeremy.

We do the same thing.  Insert one part into another.

Our situation is a cast/molded part inserted into the machined part operation.

Barry Stump

Yes derived parts or configurations would work.

qinghai jin

Of course, Derived parts or configurations work for certain conditions but normally at the cost of project flexibility and extensibility if the model with huge details and its complexity. In the same time, it also challenges your computer performance if lots configurations are created in the same model. The more configurations the more file sizes. The model will be more slowly openned with its more file sizes in SW. you can test one origin model with over 10MB, try to create over 10 new configurations based on it. and then watch its files sizes and the SW openning reponse time for the model.

This way only suits for setting several top level categories. So I used automation driven combination of knowledge based driven(more than Excel table driven), parametric driven and sketch driven.

In a word, derived parts or configuration only good to SW operation not the better solution to system automation and integration.

qinghai jin

I was just thinking of a complexity that might put a wrench in my logic.  Not that I have see this for a while but it is possible to have more that one drawing associated with the same part or assembly (not a different configuration).  It might come into practice where a different drawing number is required for the same part when a secondary process is used on the part.  Say heat treatment or the like and it is performed at a different vendor than the original part.  Ideally this would be handled by a simple no difference configuration.  There is nothing per se in EPDM that would prevent this as long as the drawing numbers were unique.  And maybe that is the cure for this side question.  The raw part would have a drawing with the same part number and the heat treated would have a drawing with a different number.  And yes that is again is bad because if the part were assembled into an assembly it would be calling up the untreated part rather than the treated part.  Which goes back to the need for the no difference configuration.( if only the heat number or the kind of text information  is different with different vendor/process, I mean  no structure of the part  changed,  just link the heat number notes or other information notes in the parts drawing into variables/properties, then finally linked into SQL server, set its filter criterion with vendor/process. Let the vendor/customer management to be controlled by SQL server and your logic. you will find its magic. I think PDM may work in the similar logic. If I understand right, CM skills is enough to treat the kind of questions)

qinghai jin

My plan is to use a combination of Life Cycle States and Variables(I used this too) to control how documents are processed.  For example if a documents has a data card variable "DXF Required" then when the drawing is "Issued for Construction",(it is better to store the information on data card into SQL server first, after DXF's generated, update the information back into SQL server, and then back into data card( I don't know what to be used as data card, is it a data entity in PDM? I used .csv file or data table to transfer some simply data). This way is easy to keep data with coincidence) DXF's and DXF followers will be generated and put in a Certain Work Order Folder for the associated DXF's.   But that is for another discussion.  With this discussion I am just seeing the best way to keep things together so they more or less go together AND I can keep the part or assembly revisions the same as the associated drawing revision(That is why I suggest to use SQL server as database to store and switching data. Data coincidence and integration is the soul of data management).  This is important because the DXF's get generated from the models.  And in our machining division they generate Gibb's files from the 3D part file.  So under ISO's "Say what you do" and Do what you say" it is fairly important to demonstrate the DXF's or Gibb's files are generated from the correct approved model.(It is easy to keep it same if DXFs always generated from the original model with last revision every time, Of course, its drawings are generated together too.)

In most companies where I worked in the past we ignored this issue for its complexity.  But I think I have a logic that would accomplish what I want.  Just not 100% sure yet.(Go ahead. I can 100% sure that it isnot tough to control that, Ha...)