4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2006 10:23 AM by

excel required to output analysis results

I have found that Solidworks requires Microsoft Excel to be installed in order to view analysis results such as the goals or x-y plots. I am under the assumption that a script runs which opens Excel and imports the data into the appropriate pre-defined template. However, I would like to be able to use some other spreadsheet software such as OpenOffice.org in place of Excel. OpenOffice.org is fully capable of openning a *.xls spreadsheet, so ... is it possible to modify the script so that either (a) OpenOffice.org is opened automatically instead of Excel or (b) the analysis results are simply saved to a chosen location as a *.xls file which could be imported into OpenOffice.org later?
        • excel required to output analysis results
          Great! I didn't realize there was that distinction. I'll post the request to Solidworks. Thanks for the suggestion!
            COSMOSWorks doesn't require Excel as all XY plotting and list features use internal apps. Right or wrong, we do refer to the CSV files you can export from CW as Excel files but you can obviously choose your own spreadsheet.

COSMOSFloWorks requires Excel for some features. Are you talking about Flow or Works?

-- Vince
              Once a FloWorks analysis is completed, the Results tree has options for creating XY Plots, writing out a Goals table and creating a Report of the solution parameters. Prior to installing Microsoft Office, these options would not produce any output when selected even though OpenOffice.org has the capability to open *.xls and *.doc files. Selecting these options in the Results tree also did not allow me to save the output as a compatible file of some sort. After installing Microsoft Office, the creation of an XY Plot, Goals table, or Report summary causes Solidworks to automatically run the appropriate Microsoft Office application and export the data to that application. Once the report or plot is created the user then has the ability to save the output using the Microsoft application. Therefore, Solidworks DOES require Microsoft Office in order for these Results reporting features to operate properly. My desire is to modify the script so that the plot data is saved in a tab delimited text file and the report output is saved to a simple text file. Then, I wouldn't be required to have Microsoft Office to get these output feature to function. Since the current method opens Excel and runs an Excel macro I am not sure whether or not this can be modified, but I would like to try. Maybe I just need a different type of template?
                HI Nathan, that's why I differentiated COSMOSWorks (structural FEA) & SolidWorks from COSMOSFloWorks. FloWorks does require Excel, CW & SW don't. Unfortunately, we currently don't support the use of any other spreadsheet tool for FloWorks. The calls are at a different level than templates. If you could file this as an enhancement at the SolidWorks home page, I'll make sure it gets looked at. Make sure you indicate the enhancement is for FloWorks, not SolidWorks in general or it might get missed.

-- Vince