12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2010 10:15 AM by Scott McFadden

Dimesion styles

Mark Greenwell

Hi,

When I have my dimension styles set to use arrows, when I do a section view the section view also uses arrows.

If I have my dimension style set to a tick then the section view also uses a tick.

What I want is to have dimensions use the tick but if I have a section view this will use an arrow.

Is this possible.

Also can I have the section view line broken in the middle so all I see is the arrows at the top & bottom of the section.

See Attached word doc for better explanation.

Thanks

Mark (SolidWorks 2010 SP4.0)

• Re: Dimesion styles
          Deepak Gupta

Tools > Options > Document Properties > View Labels  > Section and set the section arrow size under Section/view size

Mark Greenwell

Hi Deepak,

I had a look at these settings and it did not seem to alter my section arrows.

Although I found where to delete middle bit of section view.

When I have my dimension setting set to tick style, the section arrows are also a tick, I would like to have the dimensions remain as a tick but the section view be an arrow.

Attached are screen shots of my settings is there something i'm doing wrong.

Thanks

Mark

Alan Stoldt

Mark,

It appears as if these settings for a Section View are controlled through the settings for Linear Dimensions.

Not a lot of help in an instance like yours. It is an all-or-nothing option.

Enter an ER for this, as it makes sense and is logical. (I believe in SW/DS that means it will not be implemented.)

There was another post recently, where someone was trying to do something in a Section View and was making what were the (seemingly) correct setting changes, but without the expected results.

This was due to the same reason.

Come on Solidworks! Sometimes you need to take a step back and look at your product. Yes, if you produced it, it appears fine to you because that is what you are expecting. When you receive feedback and input from BETA testers, listen, don't let your possibly hurt feelings (pride?) get in the way.

Um, I was never eductaed as to what colors text rants should be in, so I may a WAG. ~ Rant Off

Deepak Gupta

OK now I understood you need (sorry for misunderstanding it). SW doesn't currently have the option to set individual arrow styles for dimension or section (in document setting).

But you can manually overwrite them per dimension. Click on the dimension arrow, then right click on the point and select the required arrow style.

OR

If you need to change for all of the dimension, select all of them, go to leaders tab in dimension property manager and select the required arrow style from the list.

Scott McFadden

Mark,

I have never had the need for the application you are talking about, but after trying what you are

attempting to do I wasn't able to keep the section arrows different from the dimension arrows

either.  And, I couldn't find any other arrow selection other then the one in the dimension section

of document settings.  This doesn't seem right!!!!  I so see your point.

Mark Greenwell

Scott,

At least it's not just me who thinks this is wrong.

Has no one else seen this as an issue.

I suppose if someone always use arrows for dimensions then they would never have noticed this before.

I noticed this about 2 years ago when we moved from Inventor to SolidWorks.

My VAR didn't have an answer at the time so I just used arrow dimensions to give correct section view results.

Now I want to use tick marks for dimensions, was hoping I had a setting wrong and someone had an answer.

Thanks

Mark

Mark Greenwell

I submitted a ER request (1-1728731557) for the section arrows to be independent from dimension styles some time ago.

This has still not been resolved in SolidWorks 2011.

It is one or the other.

Deepak did give me a work around where I use Arrow styles then change the dimensions later to ticks.

Not the best way of doing a large drg with lots of dimensions.

Could someone from SolidWorks explain why I cannot set section views to have an arrow, and dimensions to use tick.

Is this ER being looked at or is it being ignored.

Thanks

Mark