7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2010 10:05 AM by Reid Sorensen

2010 Simulation Runtime Error

Reid Sorensen

Since installing SolidWorks 2010 I have not been able to run any simulations.  My models mesh correctly but when the solver starts things go bad fast.  The solver runs for about seven seconds and then crashes with a runtime error.  I close the runtime error dialog box and then a new HSTAR.exe error appears.  I close the .exe error and then it tells me that the simulation data in not available.  I have included screen shots of each error. 

Simulation is critical to our design process.  Anybody have any suggestions?  I uninstalled SW 2010, deleted the remaining program files, removed the associated registry values, rebooted, and reinstalled.  I get the same exact error messages.  UGH!

Thanks!

-Reid

• Re: 2010 Simulation Runtime Error
          Peter Biggert

These are long shots (guesses) but... Do you have plenty of free disk space? Do you have write access to the results folder?  It creates large temporary files when it runs and may fail if it cannot create them.

Reid Sorensen

UPDATE:

If I leave the solver selection on 'Automatic' I get the runtime error.  If I set the solver to 'FFEPlus' I get the runtime error.  HOWEVER, if I set the solver to 'Sparse' it will solve the model.  I've tried the 'Automatic' and 'FFEPlus' solvers on many other assemblies (static, thermal, and frequency studies) but they haven't worked on any model as of yet.

-Reid

Reid Sorensen

Problem Solved (kinda)

Working with my VAR and IT department we were able to come to the following conclusion.  This is a problem in 2010 that did not exist in 2009.  The folders I work out of on my computer are all virtual drives on my machine.  When I save to them it actually saves the work to a server that is backed up nightly.  Herein lies the problem, apparently FFEPlus can no longer save to a networked drive, it has to be local.  When I set the results folder directly to my C: drive all three solver options work correctly.  This is still a problem however because I cannot access the data from another machine and it is no longer redundantly stored.  I’ll be working closely with my IT department to have them find a way to backup and share the data on the network until SolidWorks releases a patch that allows FFEPlus to save to a network folder.  Thanks for all the input!

-Reid