4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2010 7:11 AM by Jim Wilkinson

Triad (static)

Kenneth Barrentine

just discovered that if you double click on the legs of the triad it will set you normal to that axis.

e.g., double click on the Z axis (blue leg of triad) and you will be normal to Front Plane.

been using Solidworks for about 12 years and never knew this.

• Re: Triad (static)
          Alin Vargatu

Right you are. Moreover, the help file says:

triad.jpg

Robert Cruz

TRIAD ROTATION functionality "Normal To" - Enhancement since SW2009.

Triad.jpg

Kenneth B., this triad rotation moving  Normal to Planes XZ, YZ, XY when selected Axis R/G/B. This functionality has been implemented in the SW2009 and

continues in SW2010, SW2011 Beta ( I Still have to check on that Beta 2011).

Very Helpful for a quick visibility on the axis X or Yor Z directions.

Someone correct me if am wrong, before SW2009 only through other indirect one step using the heads up tool bar icone "Normal To a plane" after select a plane or  s  face, and so  on ...

Very good observation on the interface "tricks". Some other "tricks and tips" can be found clicking, dragging or using windows based as CNTTL C - CNTRL V and droping on the feature Tree areas or almost accidentally by an user ...

Lets see what the SW 2011 Beta has to add on that !

As a good ref there is some Outstanding presentation on "Tricks and Tips" at past Soliworks World ref interface tricks, noted as Phil Sluder, Rick Jordan, etc ...

Thanks,

Robert Cruz

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Kenneth,

You may also want to check out the following blog post. In this post, I tried to document ALL the ways you can manipulate the view (including the triad) so you may pick up some other nuggets:

How do I manipulate my model view; let me count the ways

Thanks,

Jim