AnsweredAssumed Answered

Should I come back and give Routing another go?

Question asked by Darren Marchant on Jul 19, 2010
Latest reply on Jul 22, 2010 by Anthony Read

Hi

In 2007 we did a major project in an effluent treatment plant. This was modelled in SW using routing.

Then 2008 happened and ALOT of our spools fell apart because of mates flipping. It became a nightmare and put me off routing to this day.

Recently I modelled a boiler house and all the pipe work using a top down 3d sketch which I inserted into an assy. (no routing)

Then I added ALL the flanges, elbows valves etc. Next I added a single part file with all the straight sections of pipe in it (all sizes, in all directions). Finally came all the configurations. The pipe file had around 30 configs added, 1 for each spool. The assy had the same number. So each config produced a single spool by suppressing or hiding the bits that were'nt required.

It became a large file (83meg zipped P & G) but because it was based on a top down 3d sketch it adapted well to the relocation of the major plant items within the boiler house.

This model was SUPER stable.

Managing the configs took some time, but the next stage was to do it all via a design table. I believe this would have had the added advantage of reduced the file size, aka speed.

The major head ache, which I sure you get even with routing is change. Add a valve mid spool here and there, fit an expansion loop or 2. This ment back to the configs and spend an hour or 2 sorting them out.

But after a while I developed a proceedure and it became easier. Thats not to say the air didnt get a bit heavy is my corner of the office at times.

The final issue was that it had to be 3rd party verified for stress analyis. For this we normally produce an isometric line drawing using Autocad because it dosnt need (or want) all the detail of the 3d model. It ends up looking like a isometric P and ID diagram with dimensions. This gets commented on and then the model is revised and the spool drawings re-issued etc.

I would like to find a way to produce these directly from SW.

Now Im looking at a larger project, another boiler house with 3 large boilers and all the gear to go with them in a hospital. This is a refit and the system will be running the whole time while we migrate from the current boilers to the new ones. That means the current piping must be moved, 1 new boiler installed, then more movements and another installation etc.

So back to my original question, should I give routing another go?

BTW Ive not done a routing course yet and the next one is in 1 mth but in Aussie and Im in New Zealand.

Outcomes