5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2010 1:24 PM by Mark Larson

Dimension alignment

Mike Dunn

I have been trying to figure out how SolidWorks would dimension the highlighted dimension so it would be parallel with the edge of the plate I am drawing. I figure I can add construction lines where necessary and dimension from those but that seems a little awkward. I have read there is an align to edge function available with a right click on the dimension but unless I'm missing something I don't see it. I'm on S10 sp 2.1. Any ideas? Thanks.

• Re: Dimension alignment
          Kelvin Lamport

An alternative to the construction geometry you mentioned, is to place a Centre Mark on the hole, orient it to the correct angle and then add the dimension to a 'leg' of the centre mark.

Mark Larson

not sure why it isn't working for you, maybe delete the dim aand start over, select the hole, then select point, should drop in the dim which will be highlighted, then right click, align to edge, you have to select the edge you want it aligned to

in your case select the 8.00 dim, then right click, align to edge, then select the edge, that should do it

works for me, I'm on SW2010

Mike Dunn

I tried deleting the hole and starting over, no good. I made another quick sketch to try and start from scratch. I attached 2 more screen shots. In Hole Dimension2 file is the menu I get when I place the dimension, accept the value, then right click. The #3 file is after I get completely out of the dimensioning function and just select then right click. I don't see the option for align with, unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

Mark Larson

oohhh! you are in a part, what I was describing works in drawings

go ahead and complete your part, even if the hole isn't positioned correctly

make your drawing and do it there as I described ( just right click on the "8.00" dim), dimensioning the hole as you would like it

your part will of course udate to the drawing

Kelvin Lamport

Mark,

That option only applies in a drawing, not in a models feature sketch.

EDIT:

Doh! ... The same applies to my suggestion above.

I think the only alternative is to create reference (construction line) geometry.

Or better yet, use horizontal and vertical dimensions/ordinates ... which is probably what will be needed for manufacture anyway.