4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2010 1:32 PM by Wayne Tiffany

Making a SolidWorks drawing template

I am new to solidworks and I would like to make a generic drawing template.  I know that you can load a solidworks drawing template that includes the title block and border but I wanted to know how to start from scratch.  I noticed that the border in the template is made up of actual lines that can be moved and dimensioned.  Is that how a border is created, drawn on a blank sheet, or is there a way to add a border of a certain size like from a dialog or properties.  I also noticed that the title block is made up of lines as well, is that how a custom title block is created, justed sketched out.  The other question I have is shown in the attached picture of a drawing sheet.  The sheet has a alpahnumeric coordinate grid like a map (not sure what the correct name for this is) to locate things on large drawings.  Does solidworks have a way to generate this or is it just drawn with added notes for the numbers and letters.

Thank You

• Re: Making a SolidWorks drawing template
          Dwight Livingston

Yes, just sketch the whole thing. Use dimensions or snap to grid. I've had trouble with printing a bitmap logo, so I sketched that too.

Scott McFadden

Hi Derek,

This might require a few back and forths but I am willing to help you along the way.

I started at my new job about 8 months ago and prior to that I was in charge  of developing

and maintaining the formats.  I have assemed the same in this new job as well.

I would start by creating your formats using lines and text per ASME Y14.1-2005.  This is the

way I started.

Remember in drawing mode you have 2 different modes:  "Edit Sheet Format" and "Edit Sheet"

"Edit Sheet Format" contains all of your border lines, grid text, title block lines and text.  I would suggest

with each drawing created using this format that the drawing notes go on the level as well or they could

attach themselves to a view and get dragged around the drawing sas the view moves.

"Edit Sheet" will contain all of your views, dimensions and tables.

Once you get to this point (and I hope this helps you), you can then implement custom properties

into your title block so you have a drawing that is auto populated.

Let me know if you would like help with that as well.

Good luck!!!

Wayne Tiffany

You can also go to http://www.solidworkstemplates.com/.  Kevin has lots of good info there.

WT

Scott McFadden

Sorry Derek,

One more thing.  You are going to want to save this obviously.

Make sure you save it as a template (.slddrt)

Once you have the template to the point of using it go to "File-Save Sheet Format"

This will give you a ".drwdot"

What this allows to happen is once you have your format pathing set up through system tools under options,

is when you start a new drawing, your formats to show up to be selected.

Hope this makes sense.