4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2010 1:41 PM by Frank Krockenberger

Drag / scale sketch entites inside block?

Christopher Thompson

I have a question about blocks that are inserted into a part file. Can the sketch entities inside the block be dragged or scaled? Does the block need to be exploded in order to drag or scale the sketch entities?

Concerning administration of blocks, does SolidWorks have a standard design library of blocks? If not, where do you typically store the blocks you are creating (example: template directory, etc.)?

• Re: Drag / scale sketch entites inside block?
          Jerry Steiger

Christopher,

I don't use blocks much, but as nobody who knows better seems to be jumping in, I will share what little I know.

Yes, you need to explode the block in order to make any changes to the sketch entities in the block.

That's it, you've exhausted my knowledge of blocks!

Jerry Steiger

See, even what little I knew was wrong! I always assumed that editing the block was the same as exploding the block.

Message was edited by: Jerry Steiger

Frank Krockenberger

Christopher,

You can Edit the block(RMC on the block) to make any changes, then you exit the block (conformation corner) as you would a sketch, then exit the sketch.

if you explode the block then you will have to re-create the block.

I am not sure about a block library, but in file locations you can set the location of the block folder.

HTH

Frank

Christopher Thompson

Your suggestion worked. However, I still have one problem. If I insert the same block in two different sketches (separate sizes), than any changes I make the second instance is also replicated in the first instance of the part file. It is behaving similar to that of a derived sketch.

To change the size of the second instance of the block without changing the size of the first instance, do I need to create a second independent block? Is it possible to use the same block multiple times in a part file where each instance is a separate size, or does more than one block need to be created?