3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2010 5:02 PM by Jack Sanford

Increment rev on transition regardless of change

Jack Sanford

The “Default Workflow” that comes with Enterprise will increment a part/assy/drawing revision if it is sent through workflow regardless of whether it was changed since the previous revision. Is there a way I can setup workflow to bump the revision of changed files only?

Here is what I’m trying to accomplish:

Let’s say I have 1 assembly with 2 parts all at rev A in the Approved State.

Approved

Assy1 (rev A)

Part1 (rev A)

Part2 (rev A)

By design I have the “Approved” state prevent users from checking out documents so I change them all to WIP state to check them all out. As it turns out I only have to change Part1 and Assy1 queuing them up to be Rev B. On check in of the assembly, and all parts, Enterprise automatically un-does the checkout of Part2 to so it remains Rev A (unchanged - works great).

WIP

Assy1 (next rev B)

Part1 (next rev B)

Part2 (rev A)

The problem is when I change the State of the assembly and all the parts back to “Approved” the revision on Part2 changes from Rev A to Rev B even though it it was not changed the transition increments it.

Approved

Assy1 (rev B)

Part1 (rev B)

Part2 (rev B) should be A

Is there a condition or another way to change the state transition so it won’t change the Rev if it’s not been checked out or changed since the previous? I know we can check out files incrementally as needed, but our designs have several dependencies and it’s difficult to tell what will need to be changed before hand, so it’s easier to check them all out and let Enterprise determine what has changed on the next check in.

Jack

• Re: Increment rev on transition regardless of change
          Shawn Kelly

Jack,

If I am understanding you correctly you know that you have choice as to whether or not you transition all the parts with the assembly.  If you are just updating the assembly then just transition it and only check out that file and run it through the workflow process for revision.

However, if you feel that you must transition all files and check them all out and then checkin only the files that have changes. Then one solution you could use is dispatch in EPDM 2010.

On checkin, update a set a variable value on the file.  Then you could add an additional transition to your workflow that would not increment revision and set the revision variable based on the variable value being set.  Just remember that the second condition would have to have a condition that would be not equal to the value you use to define your changed option.

Shawn

• Re: Increment rev on transition regardless of change
            Calvin Nelson

B/c you have transitioned Part 2 to WIP, you will have to have either a transition 'Return to Approved' which doe snot rev the part, or Rollback Part 2 to the 'Approved' state.

neither option is real pretty, in my opinion. It's one of the things about working with a PDM that uses have to get used to: only transition / check-out what you have to.