13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2011 1:17 PM by Matt Carney

Study failed!

Stuart Moore

win 7 x64, SW Premium.  I cannot get any simulation study to run.  Even if I create a simple block, restrain it at one end and force it at the other (in compression) it meshes ok but throws up "Study Failed" as soon as it starts the study - no explanation.  I have been doing simulation studdies for some considerable time with reasonable success and much more complex than this so I am at a bit of a loss.  My work system, XP x64 will run simulation ok.  Any ideas?

• Re: Study failed!
          David Maxham

I've been having similar problems running the latest service packs and basically find the Simulation Premium unusable, even with all the help from our local tech support.  I think the problem is related to bugs in the software that prevent proper storage of the meshing.  Take a look at the latest service pack which addresses a number of the problems in the previous released service pack.

I've been using Simulation Premium for well over a year now, and like yourself have not had any problems.  Again, the software is unusable in its current released form

Solidworks really needs to do something to address the critical problems that prevent users from running Simulation Premium type models..

Roland Schwarz

Have you spent 4 hours on the phone with SW support?  Simulation simply can not run until you have done so.  I think it's written into the code.

David Maxham

I've spent well over 4 hours with tech support on this issue so I've met that requirement quite easily.  Does anyone know of a work-around for the crashes that occur after trying to save a mesh.  The best I can do at the moment is try over and over, usually wasting a few days in the process and then without any rhyme or reason, the mesh will be saved and then I can continue with the solution.

Karl Motherwell

Have you turned User Account Control off completely?

This was giving me trouble in Win7 x64, as was Trend Micro which I have managed to manually disable.

Strange thing was, it worked for a comple of days without a problem then just stopped resulting in me having to do the above to perform any simulations at all.

Anthony Botting

Guys we are a service agency and please be aware we have two customers that have tried and failed with Trend Micro, Win 7 x64 and SolidWorks Simulation combo of software. We completely ripped-out Triend Micro and everything works fine. I noticed in the thread there seems to be "sometimes" that Simulation works, and sometimes not. Exact same problem. Also,we have found on "Home" version of Win 7 (which is not supported by SW Corp) you have to competely shut off the UAC. There is something about the Simulation software needing to write to areas of the computer that Win 7 Home edition does not like. In that respect, the software is not "UAC Compliant" and we've asked SW Corp to fix that. I've been running Microsoft Security Essentials (free) on a home network with teenagers who are well-versed in getting viruses and have had ZERO viruses for over a year now, and ZERO problems with Win 7 and Simulation. Just a data point. I hope you can use it. - Tony

Stuart Moore

Just to confirm that I am not using trend micro and that my Win 7 is professional.  Also, there is no 'sometimes' about it - it will not work.  It seems there is no fix for this.

Mark Kaiser

Are you set up with adminstrator priveleges or a standard user on you windows account?  Simulation will not work for me on my windows account, which is a standard user, but will work on the administrator account on the same computer.  I think there's some write permissions/file access issues on my standard account, haven't figured out which/why though.

David Maxham

I was fortunate to have our reseller contact Solidworks directly about my problem.  I sent them a bunch of files from Solidworks Rx including a video capture file.  Seems like my problem had to do with Norton Anti-Virus killing the Simulation;  this was discovered in the log file that I sent to Solidworks.

I don't know if the above helps but you may want to have Solidworks look at your log files - it seems to have worked for me - I hope.

Dave