9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2010 10:02 AM by Wayne Tiffany

Drop Down File Menu Too Big

larry mchugh

When I select the File Drop Down Menu the menu covers the entire screen instead of just a portion of the screen with the tool tip box that has the file preview.

How do I reduce the size of this screen?

Solidworks 2010 Premium SP3.1

• Re: Drop Down File Menu Too Big
          Deepak Gupta

Use 2 monitors

John Lindemann

Right click any of your tool bars and go to "Customize" then click the "Menus" tab at the top of the page.  Now select the "File" Category and remove any command you don't need.

Hope this helps.  Two monitors is nice but if you don't have two then maybe you could try a different screen resolution.

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Larry,

The width is dictated by the widest entry, which most often, is one of the filenames in the recently used list. Do you use particularly long paths or filenames? We may need to change the approach we use for long filenames/paths (perhaps truncating the middle out after a certain width in the menu and only showing the full path/name in the tooltip).

Perhaps you can post a screenshot of what you are seeing? I'd like to see the exact problem so I know what is going on. We've had issues in the past with long paths/filenames in the balloons, so I want to see your exact paths/filenames to make sure we account appropriately for spaces or special characters which may give different behavior.

Thanks,

Jim

larry mchugh

Jim,

Attached is a screen capture of the wide menu.  You are probably right and yes we do use long file names because we are on a network and have several levels of sub-directories for projects, customers, etc.

I'll see if I can empty the recently used file list and see if the problem goes away.

If that is the problem, you may want to shorten the file name so the tool tip fits and displaying the full name when you roll over it with the mouse.

I'll let you know.

Thanks

larry mchugh

Jim,

That was indeed the problem.  All is well.  Thanks

larry mchugh

Jim,

Attached is a screen shot of the new narrow menu.  Notice the first file name in the list (SK8581-1X.SLDPRT)?

Well that's not the full path name.  The full path is:

M:\PM Proposal Eng\2010 Proposals\10F-003-1PM Federal Mogul - Ford Control Arms\Info From Customer\SK8581-1X.SLDPRT

So....For some reason it truncated the path name for that file, however the files below that on have the full path name (I deliberately kept the path name short in order to do this test).

Steve Ostrovsky

What screen resolution are you running? I noticed your SolidWorks Search field is almost on top of the Options button. I know I run a high resolution, but even at 1680 x 1050 I still have gobs of room between the Options button and the SolidWorks search.

I'm not saying the latest file list is ok to cover your screen, but I've seen a few other areas where a low resolution causes some problems with the UI.

Wayne Tiffany

Larry,

Not to detract from something that may be worth investigating, but might I suggest that instead of going to the File menu to grab a recent file, hit your R hotkey.  This should bring up a much better interface than the menu in that you have all the file "tooltips" displayed at the same time.  You can then just click on the one you want.  Much faster.  Now, if you are going to the File menu for another reason, then I missed reading into that with your posts.

WT