AnsweredAssumed Answered

Assembly to Part, Computer locks up

Question asked by Anthony Ciancio on Jun 29, 2010
Latest reply on Jun 30, 2010 by Patrick O'Hern

Hi,

I'm trying to convert an assembly into a single part by saving it as a part.  However, every time I do so my computer locks up.  To be exact, the assembly is an uploaded .step file circuit board from Altium.

I uploaded the file as a .step (~ 80MB).  This worked fine.  I then want to save it as a single part, however, when I press "Save as part", it almost instantly freezes.  As a work-around, I am able to convert and save the board .step file as an assembly (shrinks the assembly file size to ~ 4MB) just fine, which is why I don't understand why it won't allow me to save it as a part.  It would be very beneficial to me to be able to save the file as a part in order to allow easy transfer of a single file between me and my colleagues.  As it stands now, we have to transport the assembly file and all the sub-assemblies with it in a big folder, which is a bit cumbersome.

I was able to upload and save a different circuit board as a part with no issues, but the .step file size of this board was much smaller, only 15MB.  Is it just a case of the file size being too big for my computer to handle?

At first, I thought it was a memory issue, so I upgraded my memory to 3.25GB, but this did not remedy the problem.

Any suggestions?

If there are no suggestions, and I am indeed stuck using the circuit board as an assembly, what do I do to lock all the sub-assemblies together in order to make it seem as if it is just a single part?  The problem with the assembly is that when I try to mate connectors from one circuit board to another, the connectors just fly off the board instead of taking the entire board with them.  If I was able to save the boards as parts, this would not be a problem.

Thanks for any help.

Outcomes