9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2010 6:45 PM by Jeff Mowry

Surface Not Trimming Well With Others.

Dan Eldred

Solidworks 2k9 sp5.1

I'm trying to create a 3d ledge around an opening but surfaces don't want to play ball. Surfaces ARE selected and yet i still get the error. 8(

• Re: Surface Not Trimming Well With Others.
          Charles Culp

are you initiating the trim command, then selecting the surfaces after? the trim tool gets confused very easily when you pre-select things. that's true for most of the surfacing commands.

Dan Eldred

doesn't work either way.

Dan Eldred

hmm i took the draft out of the extruded cut and it works no problem. why the draft would have an affect on this trimming doesn't make much sense since there was no intersection of vertices, that i could see causing a problem, in my part.

Jeff Mowry

As an aside, you probably don't want that fillet with draft do you?  In other words, it's often better (from a tooling standpoint) to add draft to your flat surfaces and add the fillets after that--so the radius isn't constantly changing.  This is also easier to deal with in terms of stability of features.

Have you tried the Mutual option in your trim?  Even if it works, I'd suggest playing with a work-around, since the Trim features are the most common features to spontaneously fail later--like after you've added a few hundred features downstream.  If it's already giving you a hassle, you can expect more hassle from the feature later, even if it works in the meantime.

Jerry Steiger

Jeff,

I wouldn't say "it's often better (from a tooling standpoint) to add draft to your flat surfaces and add the fillets after that--so the radius isn't constantly changing". It all depends on how they make the tool. If they cut it with a drafted cutter, then the drafted fillet is better. Whether it looks better with or without draft is a totally different question. It seems to me that most people usually prefer not to have the taper, but it depends on the rest of the shape.

I have no opinion on the stability of straight and tapered fillets, but I am certainly open to the possibilty that straight is more stable. In the past I have sometimes been forced into using variable radius blends with all the values equal when a constant radius blend failed, but those blends later gave me more trouble and had to be removed.

I agree most heartily with your low opinion of the robustness of Trims.

Jerry Steiger

John Karsten

Can't really tell from the image. Can you upload the model or email it to me?

Matt Lombard

Get over it. If you want to use SW surfaces, this is the price you pay. For each tool you use, you should know 3 workaround methods. While there probably is an actual rational explanation for what is going on, a layman would be very hard pressed to actually identify it. With SW surfacing, you are either a troubleshooting wizard, a master of workarounds, or going back to solid modeling. SolidWorks is sometimes stunning in what it can do, and also sometimes stunning in what it can't do.

If you want a better answer, maybe upload a model.

Rick McWilliams

Complicated mutual surface trims can get mixed up upon rebuild. This is expecially common when there are multiple configurations of  of a part. I suspect that the surface selection and naming gets mixed up. I think that the mixed surface is either the first or last of the surfaces selected. This problem has been around since SW2007. You can waste you time reporting the bug or try some work arounds. Simple trims are more reliable but it can take many to replace a mutual trim.