19 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2014 12:48 PM by David Cramer

PDF for EPDM?

Clark Honzik

Has anyone heard through the grapevine if SolidWorks will be giving any PDF functionality in future releases of EPDM.  Maybe Joy Garon can clue us in here or maybe should would have to kill us if she told us.

• Re: PDF for EPDM?
          Jeff Sweeney

So far I haven't heard anything...but this is one of the reasons I'll sign up for the beta program.

Einar Gulbrandsen

Enterprise can make PDF of SW files. You have to install the SW Task AddIn /64 dll and make a task and enable a Task Host to run it.

Brian Dalton

Einar Gulbrandsen wrote:

Enterprise can make PDF of SW files. You have to install the SW Task AddIn /64 dll and make a task and enable a Task Host to run it.

This sounds like a great capability, but it's hard to understand how to do it from this basic description.  If someone could give a more step-by-step set of instructions I (and probably many others) would find it very helpful.

Brian-

Michael Dekoning

Brian,

See page 7 in the What's New in SolidWorks Enterprise PDM version 2010 document for a more detailed description of the Convert task.

Convert tasks lets you convert SolidWorks files using the output formats and options
                    supported by SolidWorks. For example, you can:
                    • Specify how converted files are named, for example, using the source file name and
                    revision number .
                    • Save converted files to the vault or another destination such as a directory used by an
                    Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) application.
                    • Map variables from the source file data card to the output file data card to transfer
                    attributes such as Description and Part Number .
                    • Convert a multisheet drawing to a multipage .pdf file.
                    • Convert only specifically named drawing sheets such as sheet metal flat patterns.

Mike

EPDM 2010 SP2

Brian Dalton

Michael Dekoning wrote:

Convert tasks lets you convert SolidWorks files using the output formats and options
                        supported by SolidWorks.

Mike, from the docs it appears that the Convert Task does not allow conversion to .dxf format even though that file type can be exported from SW.  Is that correct?

Clark Honzik

So are the PDF files created on the client or the server?  It sounds like based on what you wrote that the PDF is created from the  client.  Also,  What about DWG files.  Do you know if it can generate the PDF's of these?

Joy Garon

Hi Clark,

I just read your post. (You're funny)

Did your question get answered?

Joy

Clark Honzik

Yes and no.  I now understand current capabilities a little better but do not know if anything will be improved on in this department for future releases and I would have to assume that that would be confidential anyway.  We have developed are own process for PDF's using AutoView to make the PDF's on the server.  We actually made our own addin and incorporated this into our workflow.  When a slddrw or a dwg is put into either our "Approved" or our "Being Modified" states a pdf is generated right on the server.  As documents enter these states we queue them up into the MSMQ.  This allows us to process a large number of requests without taking out the server and since the conversion is done in a viewer even large drawings are processed reasonably fast.  My hope is that SW would come up with a feature similar to this so that we do not have to do this kind of customization and we could rely on an out of the box solution to handle this for us.

I suppose I should submit an enhancment request.

There you have it.  I hope all is going well for you over at SolidWorks and perhaps I will see you out at the next SW World.

Joy Garon

Hi Clark,

It sounds like your homegrown solution does what you need it to do.

Our solution will continue to use SolidWorks to generate the PDF.

You could take advantage of the task framework to automate the task using the EPDM task framework. (ie: make your own custom task).

Cheers,

Joy

Clark Honzik

Thanks Joy,  Currently our solutions seems to be working.  We will not no for sure until we fully rollout EPDM scheduled for the end of August for us.  By the way this seems to be a great product so far!

Pete Yodis

Clark and Joy,

I too wish for an out of the box solution for PDF creation from DWG files.  I am not a programmer, but am tasked with getting EPDM off the ground and running to mirgate from WorkGroup PDM (90,000 files including revisions, roughly 115 GB).  I love the PDF creation for SolidWorks drawings upon it hitting a release state.  We plan to have it set to create a PDF with the same file name, place it in a separate folder for Released PDF drawings, and keep the revision history as new releases are generated.  I woudl love it for DWG files to be handled this way, because then we would not need a separate work flow for DWG files to get a PDF file created and in the Released PDF Drawings folder.

It seems like all the pieces are coming together for SolidWorks to do this.  They have the task functionality now in EPDM, they have Draftsight (our DWG tool we use now) with PDF Export capability, and they now have an EPDM add-in for DraftSight.  It seems like the inbetween ware needs to get written to pull it all together just like it is for SolidWorks.  I will also submit an enhancement request, because this would be a huge time saver for us.

David Cramer

IES has a pretty good solution for this:

http://www.ie-sol.com/products/epdm-dwg-pdf-converter.html

Works with a variety of translators, check it out!