13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2006 11:44 AM by

SW 2006 to 2005

Rhino does older versions. v2 and v3 output from v4.

on 2006 28 13:17 Kenneth Maren wrote:
      > I would hate to say it too. The problem isn't with SolidWorks because no 3D CAD system
      > does this.
      >
      > When we do something for a customer that has SW 2004 we do the work in SolidWorks 2004.
      > This makes the file transfer very simple.
      >
      > (I can't believe I am posting to this dead horse beaten issue)
      >
      > Ken Maren
      > Muderlak Design
      > www.muderlakdesign.com
        • SW 2006 to 2005
          Rhino isn't a parametric history based modeler. Each operation just creates geometry, there is no feature history that must be recalculated. This is what makes it difficult to have backwards compatability.

Jason
          SolidWorks 2006 SP5.0 & 2007 SP1.1 on WinXp SP2
          UG NX 2.0.2.2 on Win2000 SP3
          • SW 2006 to 2005
            I have the same problem. We are an O.E.M. Machine builder and one of our customer's require a complete system of parts and drawings but they are using 2004 and we are 2006. Hate to say it, but was not a problem with AutoCAD!!
            • SW 2006 to 2005
              I would hate to say it too. The problem isn't with SolidWorks because no 3D CAD system does this.

When we do something for a customer that has SW 2004 we do the work in SolidWorks 2004. This makes the file transfer very simple.

(I can't believe I am posting to this dead horse beaten issue)

Ken Maren
              Muderlak Design
              www.muderlakdesign.com
              • SW 2006 to 2005
                This will continue to come up as more and more Autocad users convert to 3D. I see the same question raised on Inventor message boards as well as the other 3D cad programs.

Jason
                SolidWorks 2006 SP4.0 on WinXp SP2
                • SW 2006 to 2005
                  Yes they should. AFTER the sale.

Ken Maren
                  Muderlak Design
                  www.muderlakdesign.com
                  • SW 2006 to 2005
                    Yeah, that's something the VAR should prepare clients for.
                    • SW 2006 to 2005
                      That's why companies need to realize that they need to hiring "geeks" for their websites and designs.....usually people who play games and thrive on being "up" on the tech. Forums are a good example...there are many excellent forums out there and with all kinds of features galore....but they aren't on any company's website. Instead they are some gamers site, created for free by hobbists.

Solidworks half-hearted attempt at blogs and podcasts are just that...attempts to look cool and say "me too". All companies "try" to do it. Let the people who care and are "in to it" do it. Then you'll have some decent content.

Jason
                      SolidWorks 2006 SP4.0 on WinXp SP2
                      • SW 2006 to 2005
                        That would be nice, but I'm afraid the forum seems to be a little too low-tech for that. Come to think of it, my gaming clan has better forums.
                        • SW 2006 to 2005
                          This needs to have some kind of sticky note at the top of the forum in giant capital letters with the answer so all can see.

Andy Sanders CSWP
                          Solidworks 2006 SP5.0 | 2007 SP0.0
                          Windows XP Pro | Dell WS370-2G Ram | QuadroFX1400
                          • SW 2006 to 2005
                            on 2006 19 08:44 dliles wrote:
                            > I have a drawing in SolidWorks 2006 that I need to save as a SW 2005 file for
                            > someone who doesn't have 2006. I'm sure this can be done but how?

If you are truly looking to give the DRAWING to someone else and not the parts themselves I'd just save it as a DWG and have them use the DWG editor to open it up..............that way they can still pull dimensions if needed.

If it's the parts that you are trying to send them................everyone's suggestions are about your only options.

You'd think they'd figure out sooner or later how to save back to earlier releases but apparently it's more complicated than one would think...........Not to mention that until one 3D software comes out with it they will ALL continue to focus their energy elsewhere....................I can personally say that I wouldn't buy a seat every year if I knew that I could communicate with those that had purchased one..............what would the point be? Unfortunately they kind of have you by the short ones so to speak...........

DIX
                            • SW 2006 to 2005
                              Hi there

Basically it can't be done. The solution is to save your parts/assemblies as Parasolid files. These can then be opened sucessfully in older versions of Solidworks. We had to do just that for one of our clients.

Martyn Tanner
                              White Young Green Ltd
                              www.wyg.com
                              • SW 2006 to 2005
                                Hi Dliles.....

I have asked this problem to every user solidworks.
                                And they say " You can`t save to old version "
                                The reason is because it is to complicated to do that.
                                Many feature......

It is not 2d but 3D.

Lampard,
                                SW 2006 Premium Sp 4.1
                                Nvidia FX 500

• SW 2006 to 2005
                                  I have a drawing in SolidWorks 2006 that I need to save as a SW 2005 file for someone who doesn't have 2006. I'm sure this can be done but how?