12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2010 9:22 PM by Jim Sculley

Solidworks Templates in a Vault

Corey Vantilborg

We have recently come across an issue with storing on our Solidworks templates on a network location.

As a result I would like to store them local, since I would like to keep them up to date I got thinking that the Vault would be a good way to do that.

Has anyone tried putting all of their Solidworks support files(Everything referenced in file locations) inside a Vault? 

My plan is to write a small utility that automatically gets the latest version of everything in those support folders. That utility could then be run on some schedule.

If any anyone has experience doing this, or any thoughts I'd love to hear from you.

Regards

Corey Vantilborg

Tigercat Industries

• Re: Solidworks Templates in a Vault

Hi Corey,

I met several years ago with similar thing.

The company stored only the templates (part, assy, drawing, dwg sheets) in the vault.

It worked. If they made changes on the templates , they sent an email to us to refresh our files on our computers.

I hope it helps.

Regards

Frank

Brian Dalton

Can you describe what kind of issue you are having?  Storing all support files in the vault where they can be under full revision tracking and changes are automatically available to all users would seem to be the obvious way to take full advantage of having an EPDM vault.  If there are problems created by doing so, I for one would really like to hear about them.

Corey Vantilborg

Brian,

I was having issues with our network(not the Vault) where one person would create a file and not save it, during the time it was not saved no one else could access that template.

My Vault idea is a way around it, since each person has a local copy of the template in their cache, there would not be a file access issue.

I just finished Adding all of the support files to the Vault, now I'm going to start testing.

I'll update this thread as I go.

My concern with using the Vault for this, is the extra layer of complication between Solidworks and the files.

Corey V

Brian Dalton

Ahh...  Typical of me, I managed to understand your original post exactly backwards.  Thanks for the clarification!

B-

Scott McFadden

Corey,

I know you have already probably gotten enough varification, but I to had success

storing the formats/templates in the PDM Vault.  Like someone else said you can

revision control them as well.  I like you am in control of updates to the templates

as well as other files such as the material list and the Tab Builder template files.

All of which can be stored in the vault.

If you are not familiar with PDM Vault you can add permissions on them so you would

be the only one who has access to them.

Hopefully you find some use in what I said.

Thanks

Mike Sveda

Yes. This what we do. I store templates, weldment profiles, BOMs, tables, blocks, etc. Pretty much everything common to Solidworks.

I also store Inventor's content center for our Inventor seats.

I just inform people to "Get Latest version" on updates.

Calvin Nelson

A couple different options to make sure a certain folder or set of folders always has the latest version can be found thru this thread: https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/26434

Corey Vantilborg

Thanks for all the responses.

I am writing a WinForm program right now that will update the directory.  Our total SW support directory is like 600mB so having people always get when they log could be an issue.

Later I intend to write a command line version of my WinForm program that can be run as a login to push updates out when I make them.

I'm also thinking a clever use of Tasks could accomplish the same thing.  I have look more into this. I always like native solution because I don't have to always update them.

Corey V

Scott McFadden

Good Luck with that.

There is something to be said like you said about writing your own program needs no updates persea.

Jim Sculley

You can do this pretty cleanly with an add-in.  I have several AutoCAD Electrical users who need to keep their local cache synchronized with the vault for some electrical symbol files. AcadE will not work properly with the files in the vault.

The trick to using an add-in is that you need a hook to initiate the synchornization, without the user having to remember to do so.  Luckily, the IEdmAddIn5.GetAddInInfo method is called by the system when the user logs in.  I use this to fire up a separate thread that uses a IEdmBatchGet object to retrieve the latest versions of the files in several specific directories on a set time interval.

I don't particularly like polling (event driven would be better) but it gets the job done.

Jim S.