14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2014 4:14 PM by John Sweeney

Lost Command Manager

Glenn Schroeder

Hello,

I know this will probably sound strange, but when I opened SolidWorks this morning I had lost about half of the usable space on my monitor.  It is just a blank gray.  The problem seems to be tied to the Command Manager, because when I un-checked the Command Manager I got all of my space back and everything looks normal except for no Command Manager.  I can still work using taskbars but even they don't snap into position at the top or side of my monitor like they should.  By the way, if I log off of my computer and someone else logs on everything is back to normal so I guess it is something with my user settings but I didn't change anything.  I am told by someone here that it may have something to do with a re-size code.  I have un-installed 2010 sp2.1 and installed 2010 sp3.1 but it didn't help.  Any ideas?

• Re: Lost Command Manager
          Jim Wilkinson

Hi Glenn,

It sounds like the position of the CommandManager is not working properly. As a fix, please try going to View, Workspace, Widescreen. This should re-set the UI so the CommandManager is on the left. Then go back to View, Workspace, Default which will put it back at the top (and put the other parts of the UI back to the default position).

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
          Jim

Glenn Schroeder

I did that, but now I have a dead space above it.  See attached.

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Glenn,

Strange. Try dragging it to undock it and drop it undocked. Then drag it back on the top docking graphic to redock it. Hopefully that will fix it.

Thanks,
                  Jim

Glenn Schroeder

No, that didn't work.  by the way, when I un-check the box for Use Large Buttons with Text so that the Command Manager is smaller, that dead space gets smaller also.

Jim Wilkinson

You can try turning on some other toolbar and dragging it into that area with and without the CommandManager on to see if that helps. What it appears is happening is that it is reserving a large toolbar docking area there for some reason. Trying to put other toolbars there may reset the docking area so it goes away. I haven't seen this happen before and it isn't expected so unfortunately, I don't know an exact remedy.

Thanks,

Jim

Glenn Schroeder

I don't know what happened, but SolidWorks locked up while I was in a drawing.  I shut it down by going to Ctrl, Alt, Delete>Task Manager.  When I re-opened SolidWorks everything was back to normal.  I hope it doesn't do that again, it cost me a few hours and a lot of gray hair.  Thank you for your patience and suggestions.

David Howard

One of my co-workers is also having the same problems, starting today.  The Command Manager is taking up way too much space wherever it docks.  Sometimes when it is docked at the top, the Command Manager will eat up all but a few lines at the bottom of the working area, so it is impossible to see anything.  When it is not docked, it isn't a problem.  It reverts to a normal size.

Just wondering what your processor, memory size, and Windows version you are running with.

Ours is a 64-bit system with an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.0GHz CPU, with 8 GB RAM.

We are running Windows 7 Professional SP 1.0 and SolidWorks 2011 Premium SP 3.0.

David Howard

We solved the problem by following the advice given here:

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/40761

Hope this helps someone else, too!

John Sweeney

Hi Guys,

The forum post that Dave mentions above was helpful in pinpointing the problem.  I can reproduce the issue if I manually edit my registry value which controls the CommandMgr docking position.

For those interested, here are the details... the SolidWorks application has 4 "docking regions" that live on each side of the appication window (top, bottom, left, right).  These docking bars are a container which will house one or more toolbars.  Within the "General-Bar1, 2, 3 and 4" keys of the SolidWorks registry, Microsoft tracks which toolbars live within the respective docking bar. This is the standard technique for most Windows applications which use toolbars.

Here is the rub....  we also store a value to the registry which independently keeps track of where the CommandMgr is docked (ie: top, right, left).   This value should always match the Microsoft value mentioned above... I think you can guess what's coming next... one registry value says the CommandMgr is docked to the right or left, and the other "GeneralBar" registry key believes the TOP docking bar is the owner of the CommandMgr.  Because of this confusion, the top docking region is resizing itself to be very tall... in fact, tall enough to fit the commandMgr which has a vertical orientation (because we believe it is docked to the right or left).  However, we don't show the CommandMgr in the TOP docking bar because we have another registry value which tells us that it should show up in the right or left docking region.  Uggh...

I'm not sure how someone's registry could get out of sync in this manner... I don't see how the Copy Settings Wizard could be at fault, so I will go through the SolidWorks code to try and find the cause, but we can always add an extra check within the SolidWorks code to detect if there is a mismatch and if so, restore the CommandMgr to the default location.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way for you guys to fix this issue within the user interface.  You can try docking extra toolbars to the left or right and see if you can notice the CommandMgr toolbar too, but it will likely be a thin sliver and tough to drag to a new position.  You can also restore a "working version" of the registry if you've made a backup with the Copy Settings Wizard, or if you have another user nearby who can export their registry using the Copy Settings Wizard and share the .sldreg file with you.  As a last resort, you could manually edit the registry as described in the other forum post.

Best Regards,

John

David Howard

Thanks for the explanation, John.  It makes perfect sense.  Here's how my co-worker got into this...

He started up SW in the morning, and checked out an assembly from SW Workgroup PDM tab in the task pane.  It opened up fine and SW was normal.  He had the Command Manager docked on the left side.  Then he started browsing through the PDM vault in the task pane and viewing drawings using the Document Properties window.  (I believe E-Drawings is used for the viewer there.)  After printing a bunch of drawings in this way, his computer froze with only the "thinking" mouse icon moving.  After about 5 minutes or so, he ended SW from the Windows task manager and rebooted his computer.  When he started SW again, the Command Manager was messed up.

It seems possible that he shut down SW during a process somewhere between updating one registry key and the other, so they got mismatched.

For us, the problem is gone now that I edited the registry manually.  I will have him save a good current working copy of his SW settings now so we can revert to that in the future.

Thanks for looking into this.

David

John Sweeney

Hi David,

If you "Restore" the SolidWorks application window so it is not maximized and then manually resize the application window by dragging the edge, does the CommandMgr fix its size?  Can you upload a screen shot or is it identical to Glenn's image?

Also, have you loaded any AddIn products that might be showing toolbars or adding toolbar buttons or CmdMgr tabs?

Thanks,

John

Bill Stadler

John,

This still happened to us in SW2010 and now in SW2012 SP4.

We set the Dock State to 1 to fix the issue. The dock state typically is set to 3 when it is hosed up.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Solidworks\Solidworks 2012\User Interface\CommandManager]

"Show Description"="0"

"Dock State"="1"

The common factor seems to be if the users docs the Command Manager on the left or the right.  This was happening to 2 or 3 people out of 70 in SW2010 and now a half a dozen or so in SW2012 SP4.  Win7 64-bit.  Might not be happening more widespread because others are leaving it docked at the top.

Not sure if this is related to the command manager issue or not but shortly after one of the users had this issue yesterday he got the attached error message as well.

If there is anything we can do to help troubleshoot?

Thanks

John Sweeney

Hi Bill,

My apologies for a reply that is a year late!  We believe that this problem is fixed with SW2013 and later.  We now detect if these two registry keys are out of sync with each other and we will make adjustments automatically to avoid the problem.  Please let us know if you continue to see the issue in SW2013 or later.

Best Regards,

John

Glenn Schroeder

Hover on my icon and it will give you my system specs, such as they are.