1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 24, 2010 4:49 PM by Anthony Botting

Computational modeling of material aging effects

Igor Isayev

Recently I've been asked about a possibility to predict the aging effect for simple bolt joint. There are some dissimilar material used in the joint like copper alloy 182 for a bolt  and carbon steel for a nut. I'm pretty sure that there will be some deformation on the copper part due to applied torque and additional vibration loads during the life cycle. So, initial snapshot for the stress or deformation will be different in a week, or in month, or even in years. If this is very important joint in assembly , is there any way to simulate the material / joint aging effects in SW simulation ? Or is there  3-rd party CAE software to deal with such effects ?

Thanks.

• Re: Computational modeling of material aging effects
          Anthony Botting

Hi Igor: The "Sales Answer" is "Yes".

I know there is "creep" material modeling behavior available in SolidWorks Simulation Premium, which accounts for material property changes over time (i.e. softening/relaxation or stiffening). This way you could simulate how the deformations change with time under constant load.  You will need to tell it how your material behaves using your test data, however. If you anticipate vibration loads and have some S/N (stress-life) test data curves for your materials, you can simulate fatigue effects with SolidWorks Simulation Professional. It reports to you how many cycles your material can withstand at a particular alternating load level...or you can tell it how many cycles to go, and it will tell you the percent "damage" in the material after that many cycles, again, based on your test data. The calculation accuracy is entirely reliant on your test data. Just a suggestion, but hope this might help.