2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2010 11:57 AM by Brian Dalton

How is a checked out file different from a checked in file?

Brian Dalton

I think I have a grasp of this, but I want to see if I'm understanding it correctly.

If a file which appears in my Local Vault View is checked in, then I'm looking at the file actually in the vault - the same one that's available to all the other users.

If a file which appears in my Local Vault View is checked out (by me), then I'm looking at a copy of the file in the vault, which is actually on my local machine.

If my understanding is correct, then when I've checked out a file, copying another file (of the same extension and file name) over the one I'm seeing in my Local Vault View would actually be replacing the copy on my machine.  If I then checked the file in, the new file (even if it's very different from the original) would go into the actual vault as the next version of that file.  If I instead performed an 'un-check out', my newly copied file would be discarded.

I hope the foregoing is correct, because it means I may have a reasonable strategy for mass-importation of our files into our vault, which would be a major coup.

Thanks,

Brian-

• Re: How is a checked out file different from a checked in file?
          Wayne Tiffany

"If a file which appears in my Local Vault View is checked in, then I'm looking at the file actually in the vault - the same one that's available to all the other users."

Yes, unless you already have a local cache of that file.  It's possible that you have already modified your local version and therefore you are not looking at the same thing that is on the server.  The version tab should tell you if you are.  If you don't have local cache, then you are correct.

"If a file which appears in my Local Vault View is checked out (by me), then I'm looking at a copy of the file in the vault, which is actually on my local machine."

Yes, correct.  At the point that you check out a file, you have created a local cache copy of that version of the file and also told the system that you have the master copy.  Anyone looking at the file from their machine will see the latest copy that the server has and this will be the file as it was at the time that you checked it out.  Whatever changes you make to your copy will not be seen by anyone else yet - until you check it back in.

"If my understanding is correct, then when I've checked out a file, copying another file (of the same extension and file name) over the one I'm seeing in my Local Vault View would actually be replacing the copy on my machine.  If I then checked the file in, the new file (even if it's very different from the original) would go into the actual vault as the next version of that file."

Correct.  That's one way to drastically modify a part.  Keep in mind that mates to whatever is in that file will have to be dealt with.

"If I instead performed an 'un-check out', my newly copied file would be discarded."

Correct.  Doing an Undo Check Out will not copy your version of whatever file on your local drive back to the server.  What was there on the server before you checked it out will still be there as the latest version.  At the point of clicking the Undo Check Out, you will be prompted such that your local version will be discarded.  If you agree, at that point your local cache of that file is deleted.

WT

• Re: How is a checked out file different from a checked in file?
              Brian Dalton

Thanks, Wayne, but there's one point I'm still not clear about.

ME:  "If a file which appears in my Local Vault View is checked in, then I'm looking at the file actually in the vault - the same one that's available to all the other users."

WAYNE: "Yes, unless you already have a local cache of that file.  It's possible that you have already modified your local version and therefore you are not looking at the same thing that is on the server.  The version tab should tell you if you are.  If you don't have local cache, then you are correct."

I had thought that when I checked in a file, my local cache version would be cleared.  Check out creates the local cache version, check in destroys it.  It seems you are saying this is not the case.

So, under what conditions would a local cache version remain after the file was checked in, and how might I test for that situation and clear the cache, or alternatively is there a way to set the system so that this never occurs (I can't think of why there would be a benefit to retaining a local cache version once the file has been checked back in).

I'm snooping for a Dispatch-driven solution so hopefully this could all be done from a Dispatch action.

Thanks again.

Brian-

UPDATE:  I tiptoed through the help file and found the answers to these questions.  I think in my case it wouldn't matter anyway as I'd be checking out the latest version of each file before over-writing it with the new file, so the local cache version would always be under my control in any case.

B-