AnsweredAssumed Answered

Preventing revision change everytime a file is checked into the vault when unmodified

Question asked by Eric Smith on Jun 17, 2010
Latest reply on Jun 17, 2010 by Eric Smith

I am very much new to PDM - but we are looking to impliment it in the future so I am playing around with it and have many questions, but the main one right now that I don't understand is that whenever I "check out" a part file say - I don't change and thing and go to check it back into the vault and get a "Question"

The local version of this document appears to be "identical" to the one currently in the vault.

Do you want to check in the "same" version again anyway?

This confuses me... Why would I want to version to index EVERY time I simply check the file out and back in? Shouldn't the revision only index if something in the file has changed? Currently I could be on revision B-99 (using the default revision scheme) and it be the same part as A-01...

I am assuming changing the behavior of this is simply a setting, but I cannot seem to find it - can anyone help me out?

Also, I haven't been able to really find any documentation/books about setting up, managing, etc. PDMW - is anything avalible? I did find www.pdmsolution.com - has anyone read this book and have any recommendataions.. is it worth it? Does it help out a lot?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I am going to continue to try and figure things out for myself, but figured I would seek help because seeing that we plan to impliment PDMW in the relatively near future I would like to know as much as possible before the implimentation.

By the way, im using SolidWorks 2010 SP 3.1, the Vault is the same (Build 0002).

Outcomes