9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2010 8:18 AM by Josh Brady

Breaking up Some sub-assemblies but not all in BOM's

Scott McFadden

I have a rather lengthy BOM with subassemblies in it.  I know I can set the BOM to be parts only, but

that would break up all of the sub-assemblies and I don't want that.  I could also hide the sub-assemblies

I want to break up and manually add the components from each of them, but that is not my preference either because

all of these components have driving properties to the BOM and I would like to utilize that functionality.

Does anyone know of a way to break up just these few sub-assemblies keeping the property relations

without having to do what I described above and without having to eliminate the sub-assemblies in the

assembly mode as well?

Thanks

• Re: Breaking up Some sub-assemblies but not all in BOM's
          Josh Brady

In each subassembly, there is a property of each configuration that governs how that subassembly's components behave in the BOM.  There are three options: Hide makes the entire subassembly one line. Show will put all the subassembly's parts into the BOM.  If you have an indented BOM, they will go under the subassembly.  If you have a Parts Only BOM, they will all show up.  Promote really only applies to indented or Top Level Only BOMs.  It makes the BOM treat the subassembly as if it doesn't exist as a subassembly.

Scott McFadden

Hi Josh,

I looked at my sub-assemblies in the config properties and they all are set to "Show".

Yet, none of the individual components are showing up in the top level BOM.

Could there be a setting in the top level assembly that is trumping this?

In theory, what you said in this scenario is what I am looking for.

If I set my top level BOM to parts only I get all sub-assemblies broken out which is not what I am looking for.

If I do indented I again get everything along with the sub-assemblies.  Not sure yet if this is the way to go

and just hide the components I don't want whether it is parts or the sub-assembly numbers.

I was just hoping there was an easier way to blow out individual sub-assemblies without effecting

all of them.

Thanks for your help.

Josh Brady

OK, if you have your assembly BOM set for:

Top Level Only

-"Show" will not actually show the child components at all because they are not in the top level

-"Hide" will not show the child components

-"Promote" will show the child components because they are "promoted" to the top level. The subassembly itself will not be shown.

Indented:

-"Show" will show the child components indented under the subassembly.

-"Hide" will not show the child components at all.  Only the subassembly will be shown.

-"Promote" will show all child components at the top level, and the subassembly will not be shown.

Parts Only:

-Both "Show" and "Promote" will have the same effect.  All components of the subassembly will be shown, and subassembly itself will not.

-"Hide" will hide all child components of the subassembly, and the subassembly itself will be shown as a single line item.

So, to do what you want:

Use Parts Only BOM and change the config props of any subassembly you want to show as a single line item to "Hide".

Bill Stadler

Scott,

Not sure this is what you are looking for but starting in 2009 you can restructure you BOM without affecting you subs.  See attached image from the 2009 what's new.