8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2010 6:21 PM by Jerry Steiger

Relating dimensions to each other...

Troy Bungard

Ok, please forgive me as I am a former Inventor guy -

When I sketch something in Inventor and begin to constrain it - let's say a rectangle ... and I want the height to be 2/3 the length ... in Inventor I would draw the rectangle,

then d0 dimension would be length .... d1 dimension would be height - and as I created the dimension - the text box comes up for input of value ... at that moment, in inventor, I could click on the first dimension and it would drop the d0 into the box - then i could simply type a formula for the dimension.... such as d0*.66 or (d0*2)/3 ...etc.

I'm having a really hard time finding the information on this.  I'm guessing probably because inventor verbage is different then solidworks verbage, and I'm searching for the wrong keyword... based on what I'm used to.

And no, I haven't had formal training - I was hired, a computer was purchased, along with software - and a "here ya go... have at it..." mentality.

I know this can be done - and I know it's a little more involved in the proper syntax such as d1@sketch4, etc... but I simply haven't found the information I'm looking for regarding the procedures to do this.

thank you all --

• Re: Relating dimensions to each other...
          David Oustifine

Hi Troy,

Solidworks is a little bit different in how they handle this.  In the modify box for the dimension click the drop down arrow next to where you would type in the value.  You will see the "add equation" choice in the list; select it.  This will add the dimension you are editing to the equation editor followed by the "=' sign.  Then just build your equation by selecting the dimension from the screen and adding the remaining items to the equation.

Regards,

David O.

Troy Bungard

Thanks so much -

yeah, it's a little different, but that's what I was looking for.  There are things I'm finding I really liked in Inventor -- and I'm finding things I like in Solidworks -

the hardest part so far - is "unlearning" what you've been used to.

I use the dimensional equations a lot in my modeling.  There are many times - for quick symmetry - I would dimension something with a d-value/2 ...

it's a little more cumbersome in procedure - but equally just as effective.

Dan Eldred

read up on Equations in the help file. when you dimension your sketch and you have a dim that needs to be tied to another in the dim box there is a pulldown menu where you type in the measurement that has a selection called "Add Equation". you can then click on other dimensions as you did in Inventor to use as variables and even make your own.