5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2010 4:23 PM by Brian Cayer

Ø Dimension on ordinate

Brian Cayer

I do a lot of revolved rolls with complex shapes.

When I bring the roll into a drawing I will do a section view of the cut profile and ordinate dimension from a centerline.

The toolroom wants diameter dimensions to plug into Master cam.

As it is I have to manualy edit the radius dims to show the diameter.

Is there a way to automate this chore?

• Re: Ø Dimension on ordinate
          Alin Vargatu

The only thing I can think off, is selecting all the dimensions and adding the "R" letter as a prefix. At least they would know that is a radius.

Otherwise, ordinate dimensions measure distances not radii or diameters, so I do not think it is possible without API.

Brian Cayer

I'm not really concerned with the R dims as shown in detail C but the ordinate dims in detail B

It would be helpful if there was a radio button that would double the ordinate dim and add a Ø symbol up front.

Even in a broken view the dims to the quadrents or the center of the opposing radiuses will not desplay as a diameter. although the side faces and the tangent lines will.

I'm assuming there is no method of making this possible as of yet so I will drudge on and risk making a mistake in my editing.

Thanks

Wayne Tiffany

Can you put in your dims as normal and then select all at the same time and change to diameter?

WT

Rich Schneider

Sorry for the late followup.  Just out of curiosity, if they are using MasterCAM, why aren't they just taking the model and making the CNC program from that?  You may have to STEP it out if MC is an older version, but it should work.  Where I've worked before we had it down to just giving them a print with an Iso view and a path of where to get the data.  Printwise all we had to do was add geometric tolerancing ("hierogliphics" as far as the accurate CNC's were concerned) and put out the paper.