6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2010 8:55 AM by Geir Danielsen

SmarTeam to SolidWorks Enterprise PDM

Geir Danielsen

Urgent need for information about tools for system migration from SmarTeam to EPDM.

I have begun to develop an application in VB.Net to export documents and projects from SmarTeam. But, my time is running out because I haven't figured out a way to export 'project view tree' in SmarTeam.

c",) Geir

• Re: SmarTeam to SolidWorks Enterprise PDM
          Joy Garon

Hello Geir,

You might try contacting one of our service solution partners.

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/products/service-partners.htm

I know that XLM Solutions http://xlmsolutions.com/default.aspx has a tool.

Inflow and Razorleaf and others may have tools as well.

Best Regards,

Joy

Geir Danielsen

Hello Joy,

I have now checked out some of the migration solutions to export documents from SmarTeam and import to EPDM. These solutions are very expensive - min. $17,500.00 !!!

So, I have now created a little vb.net application to export all documents to a folder structure like the 'project tree view' in SmarTeam.
              All metadata from documents and folders is copied to a MS SQL db table.
              Last night I tested drag and drop of 158.000 documents (only latest version) into EPDM and this working OK.
              - Block information (Acad) and custom properties (SolidWorks, MS Office etc.) 'mapping' in EPDM was also correct (profile Card).

Problem:
              - Some minor problem to update the revision number counter (Numeric) to be reset to the value in document profile card.
              - Workflow state if entire document history is imported.
              Should be a simple task to correct...I hope?

What is the best way to import documents into EPDM?

c",) Geir

Kishore Garakipati

Hi Geir,

To the specific issue that you are facing now,  I feel it might need a combination of configuration and customization efforts within EPDM. Please see my responses in blue text below:

• Some minor problem to update the revision number counter (Numeric) to be reset to the value in document profile card.
                    • We had built custom code to read the "revision" value from the document profile card and bump up the EPDM system level Revision component accordingly. The use of EPDM API method "IEdmFile5::IncrementRevision" is required.
                      • You might have to write a code to read the revision value from the EPDM data card (assuming it was already populated from the SW custom property) while moving the EPDM document from a temporary data migration workflow state to a design workflow state where it is defined to be at. You might need to use EPDM Workflow API events (Prestate\ Poststate) to have this logic worked out.

• Workflow state if entire document history is imported.
                    • Are you trying to pull\import the document history information with some timestamp? If so, I believe you can use the latest timestamp details to track the latest "Workflow" state information and apply it to the EPDM documents. However this also needs an appropriate workflow configuraiton so as to suit your bulk data migration requirements.Both configuration and customization tasks should go hand-in-hand with multiple trials before going with bulk migration. You might need to use EPDM Workflow API events (Prestate\ Poststate) to have this logic worked out.

Hope this information helps:

Geir Danielsen

Hello Kishore and thank you for answer...

Revision:

- Found a solution in “Knowledge Base” (S-09541). I hope this one will get me on right track.

Workflow:

- We use four different workflow states in SmarTeam today. 'New', Check In', 'Check Out' and 'Release'

- I will try something like this:

1. Import documents into EPDM with the 'New' and 'Release' SM workflow state.

2. Set EPDM 'Approved' to the SM 'Released' documents .

3. EPDM 'Check In' the SM 'New' documents.

4. EPDM 'Check Out' the documents with SM 'Check Out' and 'Check In' workflow state.

5. Import of the SM 'Check In' and 'Check Out' documents who wil overwrite EPDM 'Check Out' documents.

6. EPDM 'Check In' documents.

Note: We will import only the latest revision of SM documents into EPDM.

c,";) Geir

Frank Pampreen

Geir,

• Some minor problem to update the revision number counter (Numeric) to be reset to the value in document profile card.

We provide a program to all our customers that allows them to jump and bump revisions to a value in the document card or prompts them for revision value.  It handles numeric revisions, alpha revisions, lists etc.  If you would be interested in this tool you can contact me directly. 

Another very inexpensive option is to order the API training manual.  In it is an example of doing just what you are looking for.  I believe it is a specific example that uses alpha revision but it could easily be changed to numeric.  Also I believe it is a standalone program so you would have to run it on every file.  I haven’t taught the course in a while so I may be a little off on some facts.  At any rate changing the revision value based on a document card value is best done with the API.  I’ve tried it with workflows and automatic transitions with conditional requirements and it’s not fun.

• Workflow state if entire document history is imported.

I’m not sure I understand what the issue is here.  You stated that you only brought in the latest version, so I would assume you don’t want the document history.  If you do want the entire history of the document than you may need to explain more how you’re doing that.

Finally, a customer of yours did use the XLMSolutions tool and it was well worth the money.  They did an outstanding job and their tool works exactly as promised.

Frank Pampreen

CAP INC.