10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2010 10:42 AM by Fred Rasmussen

Can you put shortcuts in the vault?

Brian Dalton

Can I create Windows shortcuts (links to other files) inside the Vault such that if users insert them into their assembly they will actually get the part that the shortcut refers to?  This is the way my users (engineers & designers) currently use purchased parts from our PP library.  They prefer to keep them in a special location which is organized by vendor, size, material, etc. for ease of locating them.  I create 'official' versions with our own part numbers then replace the original file with a link to the 'official' one, so that when they insert the file SHCS_10-32x1_SS.sldprt they actually get the correct internally numbered version for their assembly.

In order to maintain this system while placing the library inside the vault, I would need to be able to place the shortcuts in the vault (though obviously they would not need version control per se).  The alternative is to maintain the library outside the vault and have the shortcuts point to the official files inside the vault.

Confusing enough for you?

Brian-

• Re: Can you put shortcuts in the vault?
          Jim Sculley

Brian Dalton wrote:

Can I create Windows shortcuts (links to other files) inside the Vault such that if users insert them into their assembly they will actually get the part that the shortcut refers to?  This is the way my users (engineers & designers) currently use purchased parts from our PP library.  They prefer to keep them in a special location which is organized by vendor, size, material, etc. for ease of locating them.  I create 'official' versions with our own part numbers then replace the original file with a link to the 'official' one, so that when they insert the file SHCS_10-32x1_SS.sldprt they actually get the correct internally numbered version for their assembly.

In order to maintain this system while placing the library inside the vault, I would need to be able to place the shortcuts in the vault (though obviously they would not need version control per se).  The alternative is to maintain the library outside the vault and have the shortcuts point to the official files inside the vault.

Confusing enough for you?

Brian-

Yes and no.  My testing (EPDM 2010 SP3) seems to indicate that:

A.  You cannot create Windows shortcuts in the vault.  The menu option 'Paste As Shortcut' isn't even available.

B.  If you add an existing shortcut to the vault it doesn't behave like a normal shortcut.  If you double-click on it, the 'Open With' dialog box opens asking you to select a program with which to open it.  If you right click on it and select 'Open' it behaves correctly.

C.  The icons for shortcuts will not be correct.

D.  Right clicking on a shortcut and selecting 'Properties' will show a different dialog than the one for shortcuts outside the vault.

E.  You cannot create a shortcut outside the vault to a file inside the vault.

If you insist on using this apprroach, I think the best you can do is mirror the library inside the vault to a location outside the vault.  If you add/modify/delete from teh vault library you need to make sure thst non-vault copy is updated accordingly.

Personally, I handle this scenario (designers wanting to use parts with descriptive names) by leaving the parts with their descriptive names in the library and tweaking the properties of the file so that the BOM displays the appropriate part number and description.  With the powerful EPDM search tool, anyone looking for the part number should be able to find the appropriate model (and vice versa) as long as you have your variables set up properly.

Jim S.

Jeff Sweeney

I think using "paste shared" would be a good option for you?

Fred Rasmussen

Shortcuts (hyperlinks) have been around for a very long time. I took them to be standard equipment. To my disappointment, they don't function properly in Enterprise PDM.

I have a requirement that would be served perfectly by using standard windows shortcuts.

I frequently need a way to make a particular sub-folder visible to a particular user or group. In order to make it possible for the user to navigate to the desired sub-folder, I like to grant them access to each of the parent folders in the path.

• Projects
                • Project 1
                  • Project 1.1
                  • Project 2.1

• Project 2
                  • Project 2.1
                  • Project 2.2

• Project 3
                  • Project 3.1
                  • Project 3.2
                  • Project 3.3

For instance:

A user who normally has NO access to Projects needs to be able to view the contents of the Project 3.1 folder.

It is nice for him to be able to navigate down the tree:

Projects/Project3/Project3.1

In order to accomplish that, I need to set up the following Assigned Folder permissions:

Projects: Read File Contents = True

Project 1: Read File Contents = False

Project 2: Read File Contents = False

(Project 3 inherits Read File Contents = True automatically)

(Project 3.1 also inherits Read File Contents = True)

Project 3.2: Read File Contents = False

Project 3.3: Read File Contents = False

This method requires a lot of work turning off access to all the folders that are outside the path.

Another approach would be to send the user a shortcut that goes directly to Project 3.1. They save the shortcut to their desktop. Enterprise allows a shortcut located outside the vault to point to any folder in the vault. If the user has the necessary permissions for that folder, he will see the contents.

I don't think it would be reasonable to expect users to type the path into the address bar of Windows Explorer.

This is the case where it would be perfect to use shortcuts from within the vault.

• The user could follow the shortcut from his personal home folder and display the contents of the project sub-folder.
              • He could also us the browser back button to return to his home folder.

This hyperlinking to each of the folders the user needs would be convenient for the user and a breeze for the administrator.