AnsweredAssumed Answered

Standard pipe length

Question asked by Peter De Vlieger on Jun 2, 2010
Latest reply on Jun 17, 2010 by Merry Owen

The BOM in routing will insist on giving one the length of each and every piece of pipe it has used to make the route. I can understand the necessity of this for some but it sure would be nice if the program would also cater to those amoung us that have no need nor use for that information, and I would think that those amoung us that do plant style piping rarely have a need for it especially if we have to deal with pre-fabbed spool pieces, field welds, make lengths and random lengths.

Anyhow, that's neither here nor there for the matter at hand.

Seeing as that the program can and does calculate the actual length of each pipe piece and that there is the possibility of entering the standard pipe length which allow you to see where one standard length ends and another begins then the question arises how one can use this information for a smooth determination of where to place (for instance) a set of flanges.

E.g.: Let's say that you have a route that has a bend on one end and that you need to connect 9m of pipe to it. Because of circumstances you need to put a set of flanges in the 9 meters. The most ecomomical way to do this is by putting in the set of flanges at the end of a standard length of pipe. What is the best way to do accomplish this which doesn't involve the draughtsman to have to pull out a calculator and measuring certain entities on the drawing, which is how I do it now but I can't believe that there isn't an easier way, a more intelligent way.... you know... a way that the program helps you instead of being a hindrance ?

As it stands, the program will show you where the 6m pipe stops. It doesn't have an actual entity that you can address while in edit route mode. The only thing for it is to put a plane on the indication of the end of the pipe, measuring how long the route piece is to that plane (because the route piece = pipe 6m + flange), putting in a smart dimension from one RP to the other on the other flange which you have already inserted into the route, entering the earlier measured length adjusted by the length of the second flange. All this to calculate the location of a spot that the program calculates itself but that you can't use ?

Please, someone tell me what I'm missing, what I'm overlooking, how to make the program work for me.

Outcomes