21 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2013 8:51 AM by Predrag Kalinic

Reattach center marks

Pontus Forsman

Hi, I have what I think a simple problem that comes up from time to time. I have a center mark at the drawing and then I have to take away the hole in the part and make a new one in the same place for some reason. This makes the center mark go purple and my problem is that I want to attach the center mark to the new hole but I can't find out how to do it?

/ Pontus

• Re: Reattach center marks
          Daniel Smith

Pontus,

I do not believe you can reattatch center marks.  You'll probably have to delete the old ones and add new center marks.

Deepak Gupta

No you can't, you'll have to create new one. Check this macro if it is of any help Centermarks.swp 2 (for adding center marks)

(Centermarks all circles found in a specific drawing view. REQUIRES DRAWING VIEW TO BE SELECTED FIRST, AND FACE ALSO TO BE SELECTED (SECOND)

Pontus Forsman

Thank you both for the fast answers, even if I hoped there was a way to reattach them. My real goal was to not have to reattach dimensions connected to that center mark. But now I will at least have some more work to do :-)

/ Pontus

Kelvin Lamport

Attaching dimensions to the actual geometry might be the better method.

Jeff Mirisola

I'd argue that attaching to the acutal geometry *would* be the better way. I've had changes that moved holes and the dims updated but not the center marks. By going to the geometry, your could end up saving yourself a step.

Kelvin Lamport

I agree with "would" or even "should", but I've been accused of being too beligerant lately ... so I took the softer approach this time.

To further opine, it is the geometry that is being dimensioned for machining, not the position of the (non-machined) centre marks.

Pontus Forsman

Thanks everybody. I must I agree with you that the dimension should be attach to the geometry, but I must say that since it some times are easier or just more advantageous to attach the dimensions to the center mark it should not be "forbidden". I can see one example one the old drawings we have that several dimensions comes for the same center mark and if you could reattach the center mark when the hole is replaced with a similar one, but not the same, then you would not have to reattach all the holes but just the center mark. Just for the argument the center mark should represent the center of the hole and that's the point you want to know the position of when you programming the machine.

Actually, Pontus, centermarks detach themselves from the underlying geometry so frequently that it is an unwritten standard among SW users that dimensions should never be attached to the centermarks.  It is vastly preferrable that the centermarks be the only thing that is detached.  If the dimensions are attached to a detached centermark, they may give the machinist an incorrect value and when the drafter has to make the corrections, he not only has to delete and replace the centermarks, but also the dimensions.  Much better to attach dimensions to geometry.

Andy Sanders

Why does the software even allow us to attach dimensions to centermarks?  Preventing that would save a lot of headaches.

John Ehrhardt

I just informed my new SWK users on this detachment behavior.  Our other CAD (old Inventor 2004) is easy to manage center marks.   They usually will reattach to edited model information.  When they do need positioning, it is easy to drag the mark center to a circular edge and have re-association. 

This is the explanation from support: As you noted, this is the current functionality and this is intended. Based on my discussion with several developers, it is intended because it was viewed as more dangerous to have the centermark arbitrarily reattached to a hole in a model.

I also must tell my disappointed users that individual center mark extensions cannot be sized to be shorter or none to compliment geometry or detailing clutter.

SWK continues to be behind on 2D detailing.

Brad Alvesteffer

This problem still goads me.

Anthony Macke

YESSIR!

i believe this is what our solidworks programs would say to us, regarding this situation, if they were able to speak...

"our users are going to love this centermark button, unlike having to draw in one center line at a time with the sketch/line tool, you can easily put centermarks on a dozen holes a million times over again.....don't you dare move those holes though, because for some reason, we dont want the centermarks to follow the holes, we want the user to have to re-insert the damn things every time"

Matthew Lorono

Center marks should generally move when associated feature is moved.  If you find a situation where it doesn't, please contact your VAR to see if that behavior is bug related.

OK, about the situation when geometry is removed in the model, what should happen to the associated center mark in the drawing?

1.  Should the associated center mark also be removed?  Side affect, associated dimensions would still remain and be dangling in the drawing.  In that case, should they also be removed?

2.  Should the center mark be left dangling but reattachable to different geometry?  Side affect, the user may attempt to attach multiple dangling center marks to the same feature, creating overlapping center marks.  In that case, should attaching center marks to features that already have center marks be allowed or prevented?

Dwight Livingston

Matthew

I my opinion, the centermark should be removed and the dimension left dangling. If you make a new centermark, then you can attach the dangling dimension to the new centermark.

What I really want to do is add that replacement centermark to the existing collection of linear centermarks, with all the correct connection lines.

Dwight

Predrag Kalinic

Matthew,

I would like that centermark can be left dangling and also to be reattachable. All connecting dimensions should update to new centermark position once it gets "undangled".

In SW2013 I was surprised when, after centermark was deleted, dimension refering to missing centermark was not left dangling! It remained associated with geometry. I guess dimension snapped to underlying temp axis.

This is rather old thread and probably most of the users already noticed this new behavior.

Predrag

Matthew Lorono

Predrag,

I don't remember which version, but the behavior to associate the dimension with the underlying geometry instead of the centermark was implemented some time ago to cover this exact scenario.

Thank you for your input centermark behavior when the feature is removed.  It doesn't matter if this is an older thread.  We are always looking for input to improve the software.

Predrag Kalinic

Just one more thing if someone is using this new feature. When creating dimensions using centermark you have to click ON center, not on one of the centermark legs. Otherwise dimension will be left dangling after centermark was deleted. I think this happens because there is no geometry under centermark lines for dimension to snap on.

EDIT:

This apply's only if view is created with dimension type set to "true" (in view placement dialog), otherwise you can click anywhere on centermark.

Predrag