7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2010 10:53 PM by Anand Ramalingam

Renaming existing files in SEPDM vault

Anand Ramalingam

Hi Folks,

I'm in the situation migrating my SEPDM data (we are having only Solidworks files ) to another system.. Unfortunetly we haven't followed Unique file name concept in SEPDM... we have Approx. 0.3 million records.. in that we have 77543 records are duplicated .The target system will not allow duplication of filename into it...so i'm in the situation should handle my SEPDM data to rename without loosing its references..

Any suggestions?

• Re: Renaming existing files in SEPDM vault
          Jeff Sweeney

Whoa! You are in for a rough few days renaming all of those files!

As long as you don't rename the files through DOS or a DOS batch routine you should be okay and Enterprise will keep your references up-to-date as the files are renamed.

However, I know that Enterprise sometimes does things with references as files are being opened. -I think it is actually updates references during the open process, not actually after the rename. No big deal normally because the files are staying in the vault.

However if you rename the references, then take them out of the vault I'd be a little worried they will be broken. I'd find a simple assembly, rename one of the parts, then move that assembly and components out of the vault. If that assembly's references are correct, you should be good to go. If not, you may have to rename the files with the old SolidWorks Explorer.

Anand Ramalingam

Jeff,

I have done the rename Experiment in SEPDM,When I rename a refenced part in an Assembly and then i just move out the simple structure from the vault the result is, without lose of the reference I'm able to open the simple Assembly.

Surprisingly there is no change has happened in the ArchiveServers to that file (in the Index.xml).But this is not same scenario when I perform the same activity outside SEPDM????? Then how the rename functionality works in SEPDM? what are the things performing behind the screen.

Jeff Sweeney

Pretty sure EPDM has no need to update the archive server's version of the files. Those references don't need updated until they come to the user's local cache. This is why EPDM can rename files so quickly. Imagine a file that is referenced many places. It would take quite a while to update all of the files -so instead this information is stored in a database to update the files only when brought to the local cache.

When you rename a file in SEPDM you are only updating the database. The documents table in the vault has a record for each document in the vault. Each document has a unique DocumentID and a Filename along with other fields. When you rename a file, all you are doing is changing the Filename field for the record for that DocumentID. The database keeps track of all the reference files by the DocumentID. So it knows that to open "Assembly A", you need DocumentIDs "13" "21" and "35", not filenames "X" "Y" and "Z".

Also one of the other fields in the ID of the folder that the document is located in. This makes it easy to change folders. You do not actually move the file on the archive server, you just change its ProjectID in the database.

Anand Ramalingam

Yes i got the logic behind this....but after rename in SEPDM i just copied those files and pasted in other machines (Not inside SEPDM vault)..Then when i open the main assembly the references got updated in solidworks files? How is it possible without any changes in the header files?

I guess there is an API (SEPDM) call triggered (Before rename the file name in Documents table) to update the file references when the rename operation is performing....I got this when i trace DB during the rename....