12 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2010 5:51 PM by Jeremy Feist

Move single part in assembly

Diego Munoz

I have 3 parts drawings in an assembly drawing. I already positioned all the three together using the mate tool. But I need to move only two of them one inch. I tried to position the parts exactly where I wanted them using the mate tool, but I could not find how. Now that the parts are together only the whole things move using the move component. How can I move only the part I want and exactly the distance I need. Thank you.

• Re: Move single part in assembly
          Dennis Hvam

You can use a distance mate, all depending on which part is fixed in your assembly.

Could you upload your model here, then we'll have a look at it

Diego Munoz

How do I get to the distance mate? If you take a look at the attachment, I'm trying to move the right round part half an inch to the left, but for some reason when I use the move component it moves the part in circles or it makes it rotate and I'm not using the rotate component. I also need to add some arms to the donuts (round parts) with bolts. I have one individual part drawing for the donut should I sketch the arms in the same part drawing or create a new part drawing. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Jeff Mowry

Diego, did you miss the responses given in the question you asked last night in the "Assemblies" category of the forum?  The answers there will solve your problem.

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/33773?tstart=30

To get to understand how to use SolidWorks properly, you should really go through the tutorials, which will show you how to do the basics, like start an assembly, use the Mate tools, etc.  You can follow-up with checking the Help files for more details.

Diego Munoz

Yes I got the response and thank you. But unfortunately the tutorials do not explain everything in detail and sometimes you run into problems that are not in the tutorial. I have been going through the tutorial and I'm attending their one week class in a couple of weeks, but for now I can use as much help as I can, and you guys have been a lot of help, thanks again.

Jeff Mowry

OK--just looked like maybe you weren't finding the materials in the tutorials, but going to this forum first.

Below is a snapshot of the mate dialog showing an example of a distance mate:

Distance-Mate.jpg

To do this (in this case--similar to yours), I select the two faces (could be planes, too) that I want to add the distance between, select the Mate icon/tool, and then click the Distance icon in the Mate dialog box.  You input the dimension you want between the faces from there, and the parts should move to that dimension when you hit Enter or click the green check mark.

Jeff Mowry

By the way, have you gone through the tutorial called "Assembly Mates" (under "All SolidWorks Tutorials)?  It's probably the best one I've seen (better than the basic Assembly tutorial) for dealing with the variety of mate types in an assembly.  Keep in mind you can mate your parts to the three main planes of the assembly itself, so you parts won't float all over the place (like I mentioned in my other post).

Good luck.

Kelvin Lamport

Zip the actual assy and its parts and post here, then we can see exactly what you have done and tell/show how to change it.

Diego Munoz

Thanks everyone I was able to move it where I wanted it.  I inserted the round part at the origin and using move with triad I moved it in 1/2". The second round part I could not find another way to do it, but to inserted at the same place as the first one (at the origin) and then I use move with triad and moved it the distance so it could be in 1/2" from the edge. I'm not sure if this was the best way or fastest. I tried using the mate tool using different standard mates, but couldn't do it. I'm attaching the parts and assy maybe someone can let me know a better way, thanks.