17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2014 5:04 PM by Bill Casnovsky

Aras Users

Raymond Pearson

I'm very interested to hear from anyone who has epperience with Aras Innovator and SolidWorks.

• Re: Aras Users
          Brian McEwen

I am also interested in Aras.

This much I know: Aras offers Aras Innovator http://www.aras.com/solutions/plm-solution.aspx?name=Product-Data-Management which is open source and free, unless you want help setting it up.  It is not specially optimized for managing SolidWorks data. 

""

Features include: check-in and check-out, engineering change management, version control and release, bill of materials management, automated graphical workflows, and file visualization and management for design collaboration with 3D CAD, 2D CAD & EDA.

""

They also have Aras EPLM http://www.aras-eplm.com/, which requires SoildWorks Enterprise PDM and is preconfigured and setup to integrate with SolidWorks and EPDM. -Not free plus cost of EPDM.  

I'd like to hear from someone who is using Aras Innovator specifically for PDM by itself.   I'd ask how much customization did it require to get it where you want?  How does it compare to PDM Workgroup or EPDM? 

reference also https://forum.solidworks.com/message/175638#175638

Thanks,

Brian

Matteo Orlandelli

Really no one Aras user here? both with EPDM or other SolidWorks connector?

Asharani Gholve

Hello Matteo,

I have worked on Solidworks EPDM and ARAS connector. What exactly you need??

Thanks,

Asha

Matteo Orlandelli

Hi Asha, thanks for your answer ... nothing particular ... I'm only searching some general evaluation about Aras and how it can be implemented on top of SolidWorks. I'm looking to Aras as a possible PLM solution to introduce in my company. In our case, we don't have EPDM so we could also evaluate a specific Aras to SolidWorks connector; actually there are two connectors available for SolidWorks: xPLM and Direct PLM ... so it would be interesting to find some user here on the forum that has some experience with this systems.

Thanks in advance!

Matteo

Asharani Gholve

Hello Matteo,

I am from SteepGraph Systems and we are focused on PLM. We are ARAS partner and have implemented ARAS in many organizations

we also have good experience on Solidworks and Solidworks EPDM

If you would like to analyse further, I would introduce you to our CEO Mr. Himanshu Zalavadiya (himanshuz@steepgraph.com)

Thanks,

Asha

Himanshu Zalavadiya

Hello Asha,

thanks for introduction.

@Matteo

there are more than one ARAS partner who had developed SolidWorks connector with ARAS. Everyone has there own way managing usability of integration. FocusPLM has created common connector. So, it gives same user experience and functionalities for more than one Client softwares.

I would suggest to look thru below videos and get high level idea of 3 variants of the connectors and design phylosophy behind it.

http://www.softech.com/products/connectors-for-aras/solidworks-connector

http://www.xplm.com/media/videos/aras/solidworks/Aras_SWX_2009-10-20_3.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qppf_hneQ8

I would say, no one would be able to say in black and white that one connector is good and other is bad. Its completely customer's preference.

I would say, as a Platform ARAS is very powerful and easy to do customization. It takes less effort and less money for implementation.

For customers who are under ARAS Subscription, upgrade services with all customization are FREE. ARAS is confident on their architecture and claims to upgrade ARAS in couple of weeks.

If you want to evaluate ARAS, I suggest to select one of the ARAS Partner and go for discovery workshop. It will give you deeper picture of ARAS. Partner can also facilitate you for solidworks connector demos.

Decision factor to choose ARAS should be driven by its flexibility, quick implementation and easy to implement business processees.There is more than just CAD management in ARAS.

Those who love EPDM and has data in EPDM, there is ARAS-EPDM integration as well.

@Brian: Using ARAS as PDM, almost everything is out of the box.As per my guess work, you can start using ARAS as PDM in less than 2 months with implementation of lifecycle, permissions, custom properties, notifications, form customizations. Lot more can be done with ARAS. But I suggest to go for higher customization as you use it.

We are happy to help if need be..! :-)

Himanshu

SteepGraph Systems

Brian McEwen
                                "you can start using ARAS as PDM in less than 2 months with implementation of lifecycle, permissions, custom properties, notifications, form customizations." (Himanshu)

Regarding Aras as a standalone PDM replacement - What I heard from Aras is that it can be done but they don’t recommend it. 

It would have no in-session user interface for file management.  I don’t think this is particularly a big deal, especially if you are coming from having no PDM system.  Save your changes in SolidWorks and then switch to Aras and check it in. 

I think the piece Aras is really missing to make it a viable standalone PDM system is managing SolidWorks file links.  The Aras vault would know where all the files are, even if you rename and move files, but SolidWorks would not.  So you would have a vault system and the advantages of check-in/check-out, but you would not have the flexibility of being able to reorganize your vault and maintain links. 

If someone created a bare-bones Aras-SolidWorks integrator/connector I think managing SolidWorks links is all it would need to do. That would be awesome, and I imagine it would be quite low cost...  But only if you could get it without being on an Aras subscription. 

The most disappointing part of an Aras subscription is that you have to go all or nothing.  For example without a subscription you can access Aras on every computer in the company for free (no yearly fee but many companies would pay for some implementation help), it could be hundreds of seats. That is what makes it super exciting compared to a regular PDM system; distribute widely and then gradually expand how you use it, and control access to any kind of important file.

But say you have 10 CAD seats. Once you get a SolidWorks-Aras connector (Softech, xPLM or whatever) you not only have to pay for the 10 connectors and the 10 Aras subscriptions (significantly more expensive than 10 CAD seats of Enterprise PDM), you have to pay for the Aras subscription for the whole company, every year. Paying for every seat (even though most users could get by with the open source version) takes away the advantage of being able to distribute Aras more widely. 

The Aras subscription (without connectors) is about 6 times the yearly cost of an EPDM Viewer seat, and more than twice the cost of an EPDM CAD Editor seat.

That is the way I understand it, I would be happy to be wrong about some of that.

[Edit 10/10/13]  I should add that I did hear one can get a better deal through a SolidWorks VAR.  They will wrap up the EPDM and Aras EPLM costs and reduce it a bit. 

Matteo Orlandelli

@Himanshu @Brian  thanks for your answer! I'm happy to have rivived this ARAS discussion!

I'm from Italiy and my local ARAS reseller is Focus PLM that is developing Direct PLM CAD connector. I attended a short presentation of this connector and it seems a good solution; Himanshu you are right, it's developed to work across multiple CAD environment and for this reason I'm not sure is the best in terms of SolidWorks integration ...

Brian, your evaluation about cost are correct: subscription costs are not so light, so if you are searching for a good SolidWorks data management tool maybe ARAS it's not the best solution ... but if you are searching for an enterprise PLM solution I think costs are comparable to other main solutions on the market, with the advantage that initial starting costs are limited to implementation costs and SolidWorks connector licence costs ... while in the long-term costs are probably the same as best in class solutions like Enovia or Teamcenter

Any other consideration is appreciated!

Matteo

Matteo Orlandelli

ok, thanks for the contact.

I also have contact with my area's ARAS reseller, which is developing and selling the Direct PLM SolidWorks to ARAS connector.

I took a look at your website and I can say that your ELEGANZA UI for ARAS is really nice and neat! Congratulation, you should sell it to ARAS ...

back to topic: I only would like to get impressions and suggestions on which is the best way to get SolidWorks connected with ARAS; as I told you, we don't have EPDM, so I would like to understand if it's worth it to implement EPDM, then implement ARAS and finally the connector between ARAS and EPDM ... maybe it's easier to skip one step and directly connect SolidWorks and ARAS through a specific connector ... what can you suggest considering your experience?

Thanks

Matteo

Asharani Gholve

Yes, ELEGANZA is very neat and our customers like it a lot. With that you are able to extend PLM to external suppliers etc very easily.

Regarding solidworks, my recommendation would be have direct integration of solidworks with ARAS.  ARAS has pre-build integrations with subscribed version or it is possible to develop as well based on custom needs.

Best Regards,

Asha

Michael Dekoning

Matteo,

If you are considering implementing SolidWorks EPDM, then have you looked at Aras EPLM?

Matteo Orlandelli

@MIchael

implementing EPDM for now is the last chance, sinse I'm not sure that managing (and paying for) three different tools is the best solution: I should first implement EPDM inside my existing CAD environment (coming from another PDM), then implement Aras as PLM and finally implement Aras EPLM to connect the two words ... in theory it should be easier to have less tools as possible to manage ...

Brian McEwen

Matteo, 

I’m curious, what is it you need the PLM system for?  How will you take advantage of PLM?  I have heard EPDM can do a lot of what people think they need PLM for. 

I should leave this response to people with more experience… but my impression is that Aras EPLM plus EPDM is no more to manage than Aras plus a Connector.  In practice what is really more direct about a connector? With EPLM you are connecting using products that are from the original creators on both sides.  

Matteo Orlandelli

Brian, I need a PLM because we are thinking on a tool that has to manage first items and then files. To be more clear, I need to manage part numbers (items) creation and their bill of materials often without having the associated cad files. And I need to manage this items distributing it to 6 different ERP systems around the world ... In other words, the PLM should be the only one system used in 6 different branch of my company to manage part numbers and b.o.m. , doing this in a centralized way ... we also need to implement 6 different ERP connectors! This is a perfect job for Aras or similar system ...

That being said, I would like to connect Aras (or the generic PLM) to SolidWorks world in the easiest way, without paying for two other tools (EPDM and EPLM) ...

Bill Casnovsky

Gentlemen,

I am an ARAS Integration User. Currently running xPLM SolidWorks Connector. Would love to chat with any other Users out there.

Bill Casnovsky

CAZ DEZIGN

President, CTSUG

Rick Bosch

Hi Bill,

I am currently researching the connector offerings for Aras Innovator, xPLM, SofTech, and FocusPLM. Did you evaluate these offerings before deciding on xPLM? Have you had good support and functionality with xPLM connecor?

Thanks in advance,

Rick Bosch

Insitu, Inc.

Bill Casnovsky

Rick,

Worked with a client & the xPLM Connector for about a year. Not a good option. Severely lacking in automated features requiring too many work-arounds. Dropped xPLM connector. Recently started back up using the Softech Connector. What a World of difference! Can be productive again. Are you going to SWW 2015? We could meet & discuss.

Thanks

Bill Casnovsky

CAZ DEZIGN