15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2010 4:56 PM by Michael Nelson

iPad modelling

Hey All

I saw a recent post on http://www.solidsmack.com/contests/solidworks-ipad-model-surfacing-rendering-contest/ about creating a model of an iPad. The iPad itself is not that complicated to model, except for a few tricky things such as the corners and the rear surface. Mike Puckett's attempt at the above link is not bad but it is not 100% as you can see in some of the renderings. I've recently had to model a super accurate iPad as a client of mine wanted me to design a case for it.

I've attached my 1st and 2nd attempt which I think are more representative of the actual design. Things to note are that the corner radius is continual curvature and the back surface is created as a single face on the second version. I'm not convinced these are exactly right but they are getting close. The tricky part is the detail of the rear surface towards the corners. As there is no reference dimensions supplied by Apple it leaves a lot to personal interpretation.

Has anyone else has a crack at modelling an iPad? I'd be keen to see how others approached it.

Also if anyone has access to a 3D scanner and an iPad it would be awesome to compare a 3D scan with some of my models.

Cheers

Chris

• Re: iPad modelling
          Don Vanzile

Hey Chris,

Thanks for sharing the model.  I haven't had any time myself to do many extra-curricular things lately but appreciate people who are able to share these things.

Thanks again,

Don

Josh Mings

Hey Chris, excellent work and thanks for posting in the SolidSmack comments. I had heard somewhere that Apple provides .step models of the products for developers? I've not seen them. Heard anything about that?

Marshal Fitch

Chris,

Thanks for the model.  I just started a job working with SolidWorks, and the first thing they have me doing is working on a project involving the iPad. 

Within the next week or so, I should have a 3D scanner up and running, and hopefully learn how to use it.  If I figure everything out, I'll compare a scan of an iPad to your model.  It certainly looks pretty darn close.

I need an awful lot more practice to figure out all the ins and outs of SW, that's for sure.  It's been a few years since I've even messed with the software.

Marshal

Casey Holbrook

Great job on tackling this model Chris. I like the 2nd method you did better as is gives more control of the curvature around the edges, which is where the problem areas are likely to occur. As you pointed out, the 2nd method gives a much smoother corner.

As to whether it matches the actual iPad, I can't help you there. Great work, and good luck!

Marshal Fitch

It doesn't quite match up, at least not the half inch along the edges.  It's close, but not a perfect match.  I'm designing some accessories that have to fit that back surface, and using this model, the rapid prototype model didn't quite match up.

I've got a model that's a bit closer on the back surface, but still isn't perfect.  I'm waiting for a new scanner to come before re-doing my scans (assuming we don't abandon the whole idea of matching it up to the back surface)

Please share any scanned data you have with the rest of us so we can see what modeling techniques give the best results!

Marshal Fitch

I'll see what I can do.  The direct scan data is a massive file, and I'm not too good at bringing it into solidworks, and keeping everything centered the way it should be.  I'm just about finished with a new scan of the iPad (using a new scanner, since the old one was defective), so I'll see where that goes early next week, and if I get a decent model, I'll try to put it up on here.

Marshal Fitch

I've got a model direct from the scanner, but it's way too big to put on here, even compressed.  If I get time, I'll mess with it and try to simplify it to make it smaller.  I can't get to any file hosting websites at work, so that option is no good.  Chances are, you'd need the scanto3D add-in to do anything with this particular model anyway.

Marshal Fitch

I posted the scanned data last week, or something that I hope works for someone better in surfacing than I am.

Has anyone come up with a good model based off it?  If you need more scan data or something, I'd be happy to see what I can do.  I've got to learn to use this damn scanner somehow lol.

On a side note, the company I work for just bought a 3D printer, and holy cow is that thing fun.  If someone gets an accurate model of an iPad, maybe I'll print one out just for the fun of it

Michael Nelson

Here's a model of the IPod touch 2nd gen. I know it's not the latest and greatest but I figured since I had it I would post it.