6 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2010 3:51 PM by Jerry Steiger

Move part with Plane

Diego Munoz

How can I move the right round part along the plane to attach to the left part, thank you.

Part.jpg

• Re: Move part with Plane
          Jeff Mowry

Your snapshot is a bit blurry to see what's going on.  If this is an assembly, you can mate the parts to one another (using planes, surfaces, edges, whatever).  If these are two bodies within a part, you'll want to use the Move/Copy Bodies feature and select the Constraints options to move things very similar to the Mate dialog box within assemblies.

Diego Munoz

Thank you, I was able to move it, but I'm concern because the plane did not move. I'm not sure if that will be a problem later on when I add more parts.

Part2.png

Brian Hoerner

Diego,

This Screen shot looks as if you are making multi body parts, I would suggest to you it is far more efficient to create individual parts, put them in an assembly where you can position as needed, and of course edit the parts there,

My 2cents worth

Brian

Diego Munoz

Thanks for the advice, I've only been working with SolidWorks for a few days. I have three separate parts in the screen shot you saw, and I have more parts to draw. Should I use a separate drawing for every single part or is their a minimal number of parts that you suggest should go in one drawing. Thanks again.

Jerry Steiger

Diego,

I assume that you are trying to learn SW on your own, without any training; is that correct? Have you worked your way through the tutorials? If not, I would start there. There are a lot of basic concepts that are good to learn up front.

Oops, I see from reading another post that you have been working through the tutorials. Good luck!

Jerry Steiger

Message was edited by: Jerry Steiger

Jeff Mowry

I definitely agree with Brian.  Multi-body parts have their place, but generally an assembly is much more efficient in managing part positions.