AnsweredAssumed Answered

Surfaces and point clouds from contours?

Question asked by Dougal Hiscock on May 24, 2010
Latest reply on May 26, 2010 by Dougal Hiscock

I'm trying to use solidworks to create a surface map.

I've started with a 3D DXF/DWG (DXF seemed to import better) which gave me a lot of imported curves on different planes.  These have been converted to sketch curves on known planes and a boundary sketch using splines placed around the four corners (map boundary is rectangular).

So far I've found a boundary surface using these four boundary sketches gives a good outline, but it seems to need countour lines in a completely different orientation to the contour lines I have.  Manually this would take a long time.

I have scan to 3D, but it requires a point cloud or mesh file.  Is there an easy way to convert the contour lines I have to a point cloud so a surface can be more automatically generated?

Is there a better approach?

Also what is the maximum volume solidworks can handle?  I'm currently working with this at a 1/1000 scale (mm instead of m) as it initially tripped beyond the modelling limits due to the altitude in the contour map.  I'm hoping that once I have created the surface I can reduce the altitude and get it under the volume limit when scaled to full size.

Outcomes