3 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2010 6:53 AM by Raghavendra Bhagavan.S.M

Virtual assemblies containing parts

Is it possible to create virtual assemlies that have a BOM containing virtual parts? (For non SolidWorks users). We have some legacy assemblies that aren't modeled but need to be controlled and potentially revised.

• Re: Virtual assemblies containing parts
          Jeff Sweeney

If you have two virtual files, you can take one of them, paste it as reference to the other, creating a virtual "assembly" with a virtual "part". Is that what you are looking for?

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply.  I was aware of the paste as reference, I was just hoping that there was a simpler way to just type in part numbers to populate a BOM, it is just a little cumbersome for an assembly with say 20 components to be copying and pasting.  It looks like we might need to develop an API form that does just that, simply takes the list typed in and automates the paste as reference routine. 

Raghavendra Bhagavan.S.M

I hope you can make use of Named BOM options in the EPDM Since these Items are legacy and you would not want them to be modeled in CAD.

Named BOM's gives you a flexibility to put through the workflow and manage revisions along with these non existent items. Top of it you can compare various versions of the BOM at a single click.

Thought this could be of help to you.

Regards,

Bhagavan.