12 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2016 11:06 PM by Joseph Deras

Save as PDF Problem

Tom Fetterolf

Does any one get an error when trying to save a drawing to PDF that has views that are set to shaded or views that have sketch pictures in them?  I keep on getting a "PDF Export : Unhandled Exception" error message.

Any help is appreciated.

• Re: Save as PDF Problem
          Alin Vargatu

From the Knowledgebase:

"The error can be reproduced on 32 bit systems when running low on memory.  The generation of a high quality PDF with shaded views can consume as much 500 Mb of memory.  If the Virtual Bytes is at 1.4Gb or more before attempting to save the PDF, then this error will show when saving a PDF."

Philip Lane

Alin.

I have a user who had this error recently. Win 7 64bit, SW 2013 Sp3.

The PDF export exception error occurred then 'Solidworks encountered a problem'....etc and crashed.

He went through the process a 2nd time and it was successful.

The image was approx 32MB with a resultant PDF of 7MB.

Any PDF bugs causing this were thought to be fixed...years ago.

Any ideas please?

Alin Vargatu

For this type of troubleshooting, the best resource will be your VAR. Record an Rx (if you can reproduce the problem) and sent it to them.

Of course, it would be very nice of you if you would let us know what they found.

Philip Lane

Yes..the intermittent ones are the worst. I'll try the VAR route on the next occurrence, and of course, if I get a resolution, I'll post it here.

Jerry Steiger

Philip,

I think that SolidWorks still has memory issues on 64 bit systems. We've been on 64 bit systems for a number of years now, and we still see strange SolidWorks behavior after working for quite a while that disappears when we reboot the system. I've only got 8 GB of RAM, but Windows often reports that I'm not getting close to using it all before I reboot, so I suspect that there is more going on than meets the eye.

Jerry S.

Philip Lane

Jerry.

I don't know if you are aware of the GDU limitation in Windows 7. It is set to 10k by default although allegedly it can be increased...Am about to play with that. I have read that it can be increased to 16384, and possibly 65536.

Users here often 'run out of system resources' with still 50% RAM available which points to the GDU limit being maxed out. We often have to reboot at this stage, losing work. This happens to many or our users several times per week.

Users typically have 12GB RAM, a few 16GB and we still have problems.

GPU wise, we find a Quadro 2000 (1GB) about sufficient, although I would like to see 2GB GPU's as a minimum just to take other potential problems out of the equation.

In Win 8, the GDU default has been increased to 65535!! Says a lot, I think.

We are working with very large, complex assemblies with thousands of parts, references, constraints etc.

So I guess we are beyond pushing SW & its respective Win 7 defaults to the max.

Regards,

PL

Message was edited by: Philip Lane

Jerry Steiger

Philip,

Yes, I'm aware of the GDI limit and have GDI Objects as one of the columns in my Task Manager. I have only very rarely found myself pushing up against the 10K limit. But I'm not so sure that the Task Manger is showing me all the GDI Objects in use, just as I'm not so sure that it is showing me all of the RAM in use.

Jerry S.

Joseph Deras

I'm having similar issue.

user is trying to save a sketch" save as" to PDF, they are getting a "pdf export: unhandled exception" error in Solid works.

user computer spec:

win 10 pro 64bit, i7-2700k cpu 3.50GHz with 32GB Ram

in the event viewer log said

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Faulting application name: sldworks.exe, version: 24.2.0.50, time stamp: 0x56bbb8c2

Faulting module name: sldpdfu.dll, version: 24.2.0.50, time stamp: 0x56bbc1fb

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000009bd11

Faulting process id: 0x13cf0

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1b55d2ca9e780

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\SOLIDWORKS Corp\SOLIDWORKS\sldworks.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\SOLIDWORKS Corp\SOLIDWORKS\sldpdfu.dll

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

any suggestion will help !

thanks

Tom Fetterolf

Thanks for the response.  I guess the only way to solve this issue is to get a 64 bit system that can handle more memory.

Philip Lane

I've had another look at this user with the PDF printing problem and believe it's the Ricoh driver. He has the PCL5e driver which looks limited for a Aficio 8200DN and I've requested our IT bods to change it to the PCL6 Universal. I have the PCL6 Univ installed and haven't encountered this problem.

I'll let you know the outcome.