12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2011 1:28 PM by Lucas Dexter

SQL Server

Raymond Pearson

Is the database included with SW EPDM?

What is the level database support provided if yes?

Are there riplication tools for the Database. I see much reference replicating the vaults, but not the database?

• Re: SQL Server

SQL Server 2008 is included with EPDM.

I'm not sure what you mean by what level of support you will be provided. Your VAR could answer that.

The database is not replicated in the traditional sense, as far as SQL server replication goes. The archive/vault is replicated, and remote locations point to the main database.

Raymond Pearson

Lee Young wrote:

SQL Server 2008 is included with EPDM.

I'm not sure what you mean by what level of support you will be provided. Your VAR could answer that.

The database is not replicated in the traditional sense, as far as SQL server replication goes. The archive/vault is replicated, and remote locations point to the main database.

Level of support - What is the typical level of support provided for SQL Server, considering considering SQL Server was not purchased directly form Microsoft? I'm asking because of previous experience with another PDM, and I want end user experience, not the VAR's.

If you have database issues, how much support can you expect if the issue is not covered by a canned knowledge base answer? Should we consider purchasing SQL Server in order to have a higher level of support?

If the database is not replicated, how is the performance on global multi-site connections? 

Level of support - I can't personally answer that as I haven't needed much support in that area. I would hope most VARs would be able to support you, but if not, SolidWorks should be able to step in. Microsoft should be your last call.

The database of EPDM isn't complex. It's not hard to understand. It doesn't use a lot of obscure features of SQL server. It's simple, clean, and well organised. You really shouldn't have any issues.

Your performance is limited to your connection to your offsite offices, as well as when and how you do your replication. (Replication on demand vs scheduled.)

Lucas Dexter

Hi Raymond,

I implemented EPDM in June of 2007 and am the EPDM administrator; all help desk calls for SolidWorks, EPDM, AutoCAD , etc go through me.  We do have an in house DBA but most all SQL issues for EPDM are handled through me and our VAR.  If the VAR can not handle a situation SolidWorks does get involved and they are very competent.  I have not had to get Microsoft involved at all.  It is actually very rare that we have to get into the SQL tables but it does happen from time to time depending on the situation.

As far as replication goes, we have five replicated servers set up across the country and do not have an issue with letency between the replicated and database server.  The latency experienced is with getting the archive data to and from the master archive server here on site.  However, if you set up scheduled replication, the archive data can be replicated off hours; on the weekends, afternoons, etc.  Once the archive data is on the replicated server, users have not experienced delays (so far).

Hope that helps!

Lucas