23 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2011 4:35 PM by Tim R

Black Screen issues.

Kieron Smith

Hi we are running 2010 sp3 on the following machines. Dell precision 390, Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz, 4 GB RAM, Windows 7 64bit, Nivida Quadro FX 3450/4000.

When are getting a black screen and when we try to move the model the black screen will be removed by gradually moving up the screen. Has anyone got any ideas? It's driving my other co workers mad as well.

In general Solidworks seems to be jittery.

Any help would be greatly appriecated.

• Re: Black Screen issues.
          Deepak Gupta

Check this discussion on the same issue: Video Issues (Black Screen of Death)

Antun Gkovacevic

do you maybe have Symantec™ Client Security?

Kieron Smith

Cheers Charles. Have applied the settings in the Nivida contorl panel as you suggested. Will leave it a day to review them. Normally the problem occurs with a coupl eof hours.

The drivers on the Nivida website are newer than the ones on the Solidworks site, so I decided to use the Solidworks ones. Even though they were for vista 64 and not windows 7 64. 

Anna Wood

Kieron,

If this happens after a few hours of work it sounds like the cards are over heating.  I get display anomolies every once in a while on my Dell workstation with an FX3450/3500 video card.

It is usually at the end of the day after a pretty long stretch of using SolidWorks continously.

If I am away from my desk a lot or doing other non-SolidWorks chores at my computer I typically do not see this.

All of our workstations are of a vintage that have the FX3450/3500 video card.  For this reason we are still on SW2008.  They work good now with SW2008.  I have heard to many bad things about the FX3450/3500 video card that I will not risk going to a later version of SolidWorks until we upgrade our computers later this year.

I would consider replacing the video card to a newer vintage of Nvidia FX or ATI FirePro as the others have suggested.

Cheers,

Anna

Karen Brunke

Anna

Are you on  XP, Vista, or Windows 7?  The problem doesn't seem to present itself in XP.  I was on XP64 and SW 2009.  My hardrive crashed, so they used the Vista image to rebuild me.  I immediately started having the black screen of death.  It happens within about an hour of starting SW.  In the beginning, you get the black screen of death when you switch between open windows of SW.  At that stage, you can still get a little relief by using zoom all and the window buttons, etc.  In the next few minutes, though, you can count on having to kill SW and restart because even those tricks will stop working.  It "feels" like a memory issue, like it isn't clearing the display memory.  Anyway, I tried at least 5 different drivers while working the issue with our var.  Then, I gave up and asked IT to put me back on XP ... Magically, the problems stopped, and I haven't had any issues for 3-4 months.

A couple weeks ago we switched everyone here to Windows 7 64 bit when we upgraded to 2010.  The problems immediately came back on my box.  This time 2 other engineers had the same issues, so the response was different.  I did as much research as I could, and found lots of people reporting the problems and recommending the 1800 or the 580.  We chose the 580 because it is cheaper.  As soon as we replaced the cards, the issues disappeared.

I can't say whether Vista or Windows 7 32 bit would cause the same problems, but it seems to be a pretty safe bet that if you go to 64 bit of either operating system you will have to replace 3450/4000 and 3500 cards.

Anna Wood

Karen,

Windows XP....

Another reason for not upgrading is that I want to run Windows 7 x64 systems.  I will do this on new computers.  We can't run Windows 7 or Vista with our old Windows NT domain controller.  Can't authenticate into the domain.

That will all be solved soon as the IT people are installing all new servers in our server room.  Up to date hardware and software to run the company.  Yippee!!!  Then I will be able to make the switch in engineering to new hardware/OS and the latest version of SolidWorks.

I just think the FX3450/FX3500 is a bad combination for anything newer then Windows XP and SolidWorks 2008.  It was not Nvidia's best effort for a video card.

It is not a huge issue for me as I wear a lot of hats here at work and do not spend all my day in SolidWorks.  So my computer has time to chill between SolidWorks sessions.  I start and close SolidWorks bunches of times during the day.

Cheers,

Anna

Karen Brunke

3 of us here had the FX 3450/4000 and 3500 NVidia cards.  All three of us were getting the black screens, but the other engineers with different cards were not.  We replaced them with FX 580s, for approximately $200 each, and we no longer receive the black screens.  IT chose not to go to the 1800s because our machines are 3 years old anyway and if/when we get new ones, we will get new cards.  I have been working on some fairly large assemblies, and this card seems to be holding its own.

Brad Joseph

I recently started at a new company and they are just getting into SolidWorks. We all have Dell Precision 690's. They were recently upgraded to 8GB of RAM and Windows 7 64-Bit. They also have dual 4-core Xeon processors and an NVidia FX 3500 card. As I have seen from looking at this post it definitely seems as though Karen has the Exact same issue as I have seen. The other engineers have not used SW as extensively as I have so they have not run into the problem.

When I have a handful of assemblies and parts open, 8 total, and go to put a hole into one more piece, the screen sort of freezes. If i zoom in or out, I get ghost images. Once i minimize the screen the SW working screen turns black. From my own investigations it looked like it was either the driver or how the cards handle the memory. As was posted it might not be clearing properly.

Our rep recomended a Quadro 4000 as being, now, comparable. I'm thinking the 2000 is adequate and cheaper and easier to be justified.

My question is would anyone recommend anything else aside from those two cards?

Being that we will be using these systems for the foreseeable future, 4 years at least. As long as we don't upgrade to windows 9 in a few years i suppose we will be all set.

Wayne Tiffany

The Quadro 600 is out now and is a 1Gb card.  I would suggest buying one of those to try.  We have one and it is working very well on models that are sending SW to 7-8 Gb of RAM usage.

WT

Brad Joseph

Thank you Wayne.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as well? I mean is the issue really just the older cards dont work with 64 bit or windows 7? I mean we dont want large assemblies to stutter when turning and working in them or lag because of transparencies.  The computer i had at my last job was even older, 2gb or ram and an older card and didnt seem to have this problem, but we were running windows 7.

Sean Kilbride

Brad,

The Quadro FX 3500 was released back when XP was the standard OS.  While there are generally few issues moving older hardware to newer operating systems, the potential for issues goes up when the base OS changes dramatically from the OS the hardware was designed for.  The Quadro 4000 is the comparable class of GPU to the Quadro FX 3500, however giving the advancements in GPUs, it's going to be much more powerful.  Personally I would probably recommend the Quadro 2000, which will offer more performance than your existing graphics card while still giving you headroom for future usage down the road.  If you are planning to replace your entire workstation (including new graphics) and just need something to tide you over until then, you might want to look at the Quadro 400 or Quadro 600.  But I think the Quadro 2000 is the ideal card for SolidWorks in most senarios.

Sean

Sean Kilbride

Technical Marketing Manager, NVIDIA

Brad Joseph

Thanks for the help guys. It looks as if we convinced our company to go with the 4000's. Cant hurt to have more power i suppose. We will be getting 1 on a test case then probably get another 4 for the rest of us. This way we shouldnt need to upgrade until Windows 9 or so.

Kieron Smith

Still having the same problem.

Karen I think you might be right. Will look at getting a FX 580 card.

Charles Culp

Well that's a bummer. Not only were they a PITA for me for the past 3 years, but now it might burn out? Boy, nVidia really messed up on this one. The FX580 should be a good card, the 1800 might not even be nessisary on your upgrade.

Kieron Smith

Right an update. We have installed the new 580 card on one machine as a test bed and the issue seems to have been resolved .

Just need to resolve the issue of the whole pc running slow. Not sure where to start but going to start this today. Could be our network but everything seemed fine until we upgraded.

Qaiser Khan

Here are a couple of temporary fixes to the black screen if you are in the middle of something that you want to complete before exiting SW.

1. Rotate your view using your mouse (I use the middle mouse button) or 3D controller
                                        2. Pan your view using your 3D controller with rotations turned off.  I prefer this method

Both approaches allow your viewport to update correctly while you are moving, and leave an updated view on the screen.  You can select things on screen and some visual cues may show up that will help you get your work done and saved.

Sometimes closing a few open windows in SW fixes the problem more permanently.

Tim R

If this thread is still relevant and you are still using the Nvidia Quadro FX 3450, you might want to roll back your drivers.  I think I solved most of my graphics problems including the black screen issue, by uninstalling the recommended/DS tested and approved 64 bit driver and installing an old driver - Nvidia 64 bit graphics driver version 7.15.11.6265 dated 10/29/2007.  Installing this driver seems to have caused most of my graphics issues/problems in Windows 7 - 64 bit with the Nvidia Quadro FX 3450 card, in a Dell Precision 490 workstation to go away.   So far I am happy.  Which means that a 2007 driver works better for my machine than the newer approved driver which should not be the case, but it is.

Tim