6 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2010 5:36 PM by 1-4EQZK9

Import/Export tolerance

Arnold Rimmer

SW2010 x64 seems to corrupt any ProE part I import. (it's 10 for 10) I found in other 3d packages that you can adjust the export/import surface tolerance. The idea is that if they match then the model imports without errors. Any ideas would be appreciated.

• Re: Import/Export tolerance
          Charles Culp

There isn't a tolerance on import, per se. What SolidWorks does is imports it exactly as it sees the data, and then you can run "import diagnostics" to close any gaps from the conversion. Ths import diagnostics is where you can set a tolerance.

When you say it "didn't import", exactly what does happen? What errors do you see, and how far does it go in the import process. It should automatically bring up the import diagnostics tool after the bodi(es) imports.

Also, there are settings for import, which you can get to by going to File>Open. Select "Pro/E" as the filetype, and then click the "Options..." button in the lower right corner. You will probably want to keep these all on default, the only one really worth changing is the "import multiple bodies as parts" option, as you see fit.

Arnold Rimmer

It imports them but they are full of errors. The heal feature is only 20% successful at best. If it just reads what's there in the file. Then the model should be good. If it's not good then there must be a difference in the number of places carried by SW's importer. I'm starting to think that it may be hopless because if SW is cliping the numbers let's say to 16 places from 32 then it may never work quite right.

Arnold,

Is the author/s of your ProE parts changed the default relative tolerance?  - quite possible that this is the reason you're seeing these errors.

Regards

Mark

Arnold Rimmer

I think that would make it worse. SW seems to be truncating the geometry. By the time you import, heal and patch you could have remodeled the part from scratch. Oh well I guess that's life. We got 30 days to send it back.

Thanks for the fast responses.

To John

Sorry I can't post customer data online they would wig out.

Hi Arnold,

the point that I'm trying to make, based on my experience when I use to use ProE and SolidWorks together (along with other CAD systems), is that some designers would change the tolerance in Proe to be less tolerance - i.e. greater precision - something that is not good practice in the ProE community. By doing this, it would make translation to other systems faulty because of the increased tolerance - not to mention other ProE users that were using the default tolerance. In other words, if using the native proe filetype when opening in SW (as a Brep) is not working for you, then there is something going on that is not so good on the proE side of things.

Regards

Mark

John Burrill

Can you post a Pro-E part that you're trying to import?

I've brought int stuff from Pro-E in the past.  Usually, I'll import Pro-E files as dumb solids because I don't need to edit the geometry and they seem to come in OK.