10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2010 11:28 AM by Robert Thomson

Saving SolidWorks drawing as AutoCAD dwg drawings

Pierre Malouf

I used SolidWorks to do design work. The product which is given to customers are drawings generated by SolidWorks. Several customers have asked that the drawings be provided as AutoCAD dwg drawings. This is where I have a problem, the "save as dwg" feature of SolidWorks 2010 is limited in what it can do. The main issues being the scale of the various views are different and the model & paper space are limited to one sheet per SolidWorks drawings. I have tried various options in the dialog box such as enabling 1:1 scale and so on, all with limited success. The only solution I have found is to save to open the file in AutoCAD, transfer to model space, adjust the scale to 1:1 and redo the drawing in paper space.

Another option is to simply do the work in Inventor and save as a dwg file, this would be faster and save a lot of time. It is not a route I wish to travel and I would like to do something similar with SolidWorks. However I have had very limited success saving as dwg files. I have tried finding third party software or add-ins to SolidWorks which could help with the conversion process, but no luck.

Just being able to save all the views with a 1:1 scale would be of great help.

Can anybody help me.

Thanks,

Pierre Malouf

Consulting Mechanical Engineer

• Re: Saving SolidWorks drawing as AutoCAD dwg drawings
          Charles Culp

There are quite a few people who do this successfully, I will see if any of them can respond for you.

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/145083#145083

Senad Muhovic

DocumentCreator allows you to save the dwg and pdf and dxf files auomask when saving drawings.

Just set the program and it is very simple to use.

http://www.solidworks.ch/uploads/solutionpartner/pdfs/ToolWorks_DocumentCreator_2008.pdf

https://www.sdh.dk/product.asp?ID=46

Pierre Malouf

Senad,

I downloaded the software and tried it. The software works in a similar fashion to SolidWorks in that it saves the SolidWorks drawings file in the same manner. There is one difference I noted, everytime a trigger is set (in this case a save of the file) it will create/update the corresponding dwg file.

I am looking for something more specific,

• Once the AutoCAD dwg file is generated the scales are the same in model space, this is not the case with this software or SolidWorks
                • The view windows in paper space do not appear to be connected to the model space (anyways this is the way I understand it works in AutoCAD)

Ideally I would like to save a SolidWorks drawing to AutoCAD without having to spend a lot of time cleaning up the converted dwg file. This ultimately is my goal.

I do appreciate your feedback and that of all the others that have responded to my query. If the group has any words of wisdom I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you very much,

Pierre Malouf

Jason Haughton

I am having a similar problem. When using "Save as .dwg", the pages do not migrate correctly. In my opinion, model space in AutoCAD should have only ISO views of the solid from Solidworks with sheet 1 from Solidworks migrating to sheet 1 in AutoCAD. Also, the sheet format from Solidworks should migrate over to a "title block" layer in AutoCAD that is only shown in sheet space. If anyone would know how to program this in API, it would be a great help.

Brian Long

Jason Haughton wrote:

I am having a similar problem. When using "Save as .dwg", the pages do not migrate correctly. In my opinion, model space in AutoCAD should have only ISO views of the solid from Solidworks with sheet 1 from Solidworks migrating to sheet 1 in AutoCAD. Also, the sheet format from Solidworks should migrate over to a "title block" layer in AutoCAD that is only shown in sheet space. If anyone would know how to program this in API, it would be a great help.

This is possible if you have your SolidWorks drawing set up with layers and all entity's in the drawing are set up according to a layer. You then need to follow the steps listed in the help menu. In the help menu, look under "DXF/DWG /Import Wizard Overview".

Pierre Malouf

Update to the group,

The best I have found so far is the DocumentCreator from Toolworks, I gave it a trial run. It seems to do the job, so I purchased it. It does not completely solve my problem but makes it easier to get around. What I will be doing is saving the SolidWorks drawing several time and the cut and paste in AutoCad. Each time I save the SolidWorks drawing, the conversion will take views set at a certain scale in the SolidWorks drawing and save it as 1:1 in the AutoCAD drawing. So if I have three different scales used in the SolidWorks drawing, then I do three different saves as AutoCAD drawings. The object is to have one AutoCAD drawing set at 1:1 scale for each different scale found in the SolidWorks drawing. The cut and paste in the AutoCAD drawings from each different saved AutoCAD files.

Ideally it would be best to do this as a single "SAVE AS: DWG" in SolidWorks and I have requested an enhancement in this regard. Specifically, doing the save in SolidWorks would convert the SolidWorks drawing to a DWG format with all the views in the DWG format set 1:1, regardless of the scale of that view in the original SolidWorks drawing.

Thank you all for your input,

Pierre Malouf

Montreal, Canada

Brian Long

This is possible, and here are the steps that I take:

SETTINGS:

Scale output 1:1 enabled

End Point Merging enabled

Export all splines as polylines

Export all sheets to one file

Sheet scale set accordingly

View scales set to sheet

When doing a save-as .dwg and having the settings like this, the .dwg is created the main views are set to a 1:1 scale and your title block is scaled up to match.

Another solution would be to have your sheet scale set to 1:1 and your view scales set accordingly. When you create your .dwg, open the file and set the dimlfac to match your view scale of your SolidWorks file. this will make all new dims come out correct.

Hope this helps....

Brian